Gen 1 Burning smell on right side engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AfTiny

Reaction score
I have a burning smell (smells like a burnt fan) coming from the right side of the engine bay. Also a noticeable knock that comes and goes. Any ideas on what it could be? No other issues, heat and AC both work, fan runs fine no issues, can’t smell in side the cab with windows up. So thinking maybe the compressor is going out?

full disclosure I was cruising at 100ish hit my brakes pretty hard to make an exit. Drove about a mile and stopped and the smell hit pretty strong. I thought it was my brakes but after 10 hours at work the smell was still there.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d pull the LF tire and take a look, probably not a coincidence. I’d also carefully inspect the wiring harness above the exhaust manifolds just in case, there are reports of them coming in contact and melting, very bad things happen. Pretty sure it’s not compressor, if it went out you’d have no A/C, if it was the coil it would likely be squalling... I would check the belt just in case...

OP
OP
A

AfTiny

Reaction score
I’d pull the LF tire and take a look, probably not a coincidence. I’d also carefully inspect the wiring harness above the exhaust manifolds just in case, there are reports of them coming in contact and melting, very bad things happen. Pretty sure it’s not compressor, if it went out you’d have no A/C, if it was the coil it would likely be squalling... I would check the belt just in case...

I will pull it and take a look at the harnesses just in case. What could the knock be though? I’ve never heard this one before it cycles on and off like the compressor would but I made sure to turn off AC and it still did it just not as frequently.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will pull it and take a look at the harnesses just in case. What could the knock be though? I’ve never heard this one before it cycles on and off like the compressor would but I made sure to turn off AC and it still did it just not as frequently.
Hmm not sure maybe the compressor/coil is suspect after all and the burnt smell is the belt?

OP
OP
A

AfTiny

Reaction score
Hmm not sure maybe the compressor/coil is suspect after all and the burnt smell is the belt?

So It’s the compressor bearing that went out. Not sure on the repair yet but the smell is def coming from the bearing so I will be researching parts and repair next! Thanks for trying to help.