Gained an extra .1 (perhaps more) mpg by locking out 10th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'd agree, but it's been at 16.8 for the 8 months I've owned it and went to 16.9 the same week I started manually dropping down to 9th. The odds that the direction of the wind was suddenly in my favor that same week is unlikely enough for it to be safely ruled out as a variable.

you can only really minimize the variables, not eliminate them.
How stock is your truck?

I’ve noticed the pedal commander in more aggressive settings makes the truck shift more willingly in normal mode, but I didn’t notice the mpg going downward at the same time. I also didn’t leave it set there because it was too twitchy in sport mode.

in normal, the truck is trying to jump to top gear as soon as it can. I’ve seen 10th as low as 42mph, but when you stab the throttle in this condition the truck is like “F*** you, I’m cruzin’ here!” then a few seconds later “Oh, ok, we can go faster”. On the highway, you can see the truck struggle on hills as it’s desperately trying to maintain 10th and boost it’s way out of whatever is going on.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd agree, but it's been at 16.8 for the 8 months I've owned it and went to 16.9 the same week I started manually dropping down to 9th. The odds that the direction of the wind was suddenly in my favor that same week is unlikely enough for it to be safely ruled out as a variable.

Out of curiosity, do you reset the MPG values each time you fill it up?

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you can only really minimize the variables, not eliminate them.
How stock is your truck?

I’ve noticed the pedal commander in more aggressive settings makes the truck shift more willingly in normal mode, but I didn’t notice the mpg going downward at the same time. I also didn’t leave it set there because it was too twitchy in sport mode.

in normal, the truck is trying to jump to top gear as soon as it can. I’ve seen 10th as low as 42mph, but when you stab the throttle in this condition the truck is like “F*** you, I’m cruzin’ here!” then a few seconds later “Oh, ok, we can go faster”. On the highway, you can see the truck struggle on hills as it’s desperately trying to maintain 10th and boost it’s way out of whatever is going on.

Completely stock as far as the engine and tuning is concerned. My mods are limited to lights, mud flaps, tints, clear wrap, bed cover.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Out of curiosity, do you reset the MPG values each time you fill it up?

No sir, it’s been a running average for the last 350 hours

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sir, it’s been a running average for the last 350 hours

I have found that the MPG values are more accurate when you reset it after each fill up. The average over many fill-ups will be skewed when you are making small changes, like the one you described.

I always do the math at every fill-up and then, reset it when I get back into my truck.