FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Right! You can imagine my reaction with only 9,871 miles on the clock. I drove 2 hrs out of the way to a dealer with a good reputation. The Service Mananger explained they don't "have" to but it gives the tech better access and it's desgined to come off for service. Very routine for them and my mind was put at ease when I saw how clean the area he was working in was.

The Master Tech that did mine did a fantastic job even down to removing the Rigid lights I installed. He later joked with me that I did such a good job routing the harness that it looked OEM even down to the Deutsch connectors I used. They immdedialtely knew I was gonna be that guy and a royal PITA if it wasn't done right! :cool:
Wow, less than 10,000 miles and the phasers were already rattling?
What year is your truck?

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, less than 10,000 miles and the phasers were already rattling?
What year is your truck?
2019 I purchased new with 6 miles on it. I had it repaired in February and now have ~13k without any issues. Taking it in to the local dealer tomorrow to get the 21B10 update.

2019 scott

Reaction score
2019 I purchased new with 6 miles on it. I had it repaired in February and now have ~13k without any issues. Taking it in to the local dealer tomorrow to get the 21B10 update.
Wish i had a good dealer like that near me. I wouldn’t trust the dealers around me to tear into my truck. Was yours rattling frequently and very loud?

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish i had a good dealer like that near me. I wouldn’t trust the dealers around me to tear into my truck. Was yours rattling frequently and very loud?
Sadly, I have several dealers in the Orlando, FL area. None of them I reached out to had competent service managers and none of them were recomended like the Bozard Ford.

Yes, it sounded exactly like videos we've all seen. It started out occasionally and then happened on every single start up after sitting. Sounded like a crappy diesel.

Where are you in PA? I'm sure there are other members in your area that have sucessfully gotten the repair... ask around and check your local dealers reviewes. Then shoot the Service Manager an email and express your concerns. The good ones will be happy to answer your questions.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine updated today, had phasers replaced in April and were quite. After the update nothing has changed, still quite. No longer crank time, no change in power, no shudder. If anything transmission is relearning it’s shift points

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me. They seriously have to take the entire cab off the chassie to fix that ****. Makes my skin crawl just looking at those pics.
A good friend is a senior master ford tech and I spoke to him about this. Some techs lift the cabs and some don't, it usually comes down to what type of lift they have in their bay. lifting the cabs off is becoming more and more common and the diesel guys do it on a regular basis. He said the master techs can get it off in less then an hour since they do it so much.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A good friend is a senior master ford tech and I spoke to him about this. Some techs lift the cabs and some don't, it usually comes down to what type of lift they have in their bay. lifting the cabs off is becoming more and more common and the diesel guys do it on a regular basis. He said the master techs can get it off in less then an hour since they do it so much.

Yes, and it gives a lot more room to perform the procedures correctly. I probably would be trading my truck off too if it went through this but I have not heard any rattling from that area. Mine every once and while will have a clunk from the rear end on cold starts with or without using the remote start. Doesn't do it every time but I can not figure out what it is.