Front license plate sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best answer is to study your state law, if not print out the EXACT language. Some language may be vague enough to argue...some states give decent specifics as in "placed on the front of vehicle".

I've seen plenty get tickets with the plate on the dash....cops just laugh and write out the "no front tag" permit.

BADJUJU

Reaction score
Texas here.
I've had 3 tickets for no front plate with in 8 months traveling to New Mexico through a small hick town.
Same cop each time. $150 a pop.

I bought the Swarfworks tow hook plate bracket for when I drive that way again.
three small bolts to place it on and remove.
3 tickets in 8 months, "$150 a pop"... what in the hell is wrong with you, I guess third time is a charm.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
59C9CFF6-5A8B-489A-88FF-BA226ACBAB32.jpeg I ran the plate on my 04 sti zip tied to the passenger sun visor with it flipped down. It was visible through the windshield. I had one ******** cop pull me over in upstate ny, it was just an excuse to pull me over. He then wrote me a ticket for a modified muffler system. When I get my SVC bumper on this spring it will go on the skid plate with 3M double sided tape, had same setup on my gen1.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most states actually regulate how plates are to be displayed in the front. I don’t live in New York, but I looked up the statute. It says the plate has to be between 12-48 inches from the ground. So having it on a windshield or a visor is the same as not having it at all.

Also, it says that “plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable ... the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle...” Having a plate that is mounted under your front bumper pointing down is probably not easily readable.

My point is, mount front a plate or don’t mount it. But if you get caught breaking the law, own it. It’s not the cop’s fault.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/402

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 tickets in 8 months, "$150 a pop"... what in the hell is wrong with you, I guess third time is a charm.
It's my money isn't it?
So, if you want to know my brother and I were hopising my father.
I found it more important to make sure my father had the best end of life he possibly could. A front license was not a priority.
Now was it?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Front plates are a waste of money. They could charge the same fee but only provide 1 plate. Bam, money saved by the state to spend on some other B.S.

BADJUJU

Reaction score
It's my money isn't it?
So, if you want to know my brother and I were hopising my father.
I found it more important to make sure my father had the best end of life he possibly could. A front license was not a priority.
Now was it?
NO... it was your money, it's the states now ;) but that a cool story bro, I couldn't care less as to why you and your brother
chose to break a simple asinine law several times before deciding to comply. just sounds like a complete moron to me.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO... it was your money, it's the states now ;) but that a cool story bro, I couldn't care less as to why you and your brother
chose to break a simple asinine law several times before deciding to comply. just sounds like a complete moron to me.
Well you just proved whose the ass!

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here in NY you have to have one if you plan to cross a bridge or tunnel. Had to have my bumper custom fitted to work.

img_0765_clean-jpg.118040