Front license plate sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always driven without a front plate in Texas. I was pulled over once about 10 years ago over the 4th of July weekend between Austin and Houston on Hwy 290. He was using it as an excuse to see if I was drinking and driving, so he let me go with a warning. :smile:

Same here! Drive all over and haven't ran a front plate on anything in 20 years or more.
But, this one state trooper jones' the front plate pullover.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NJ is a 2 plate state, mine is in my windshield , being i didn't want to drill my skid plate on my ADD bumpers, went to lowes and bought 4 small suction cups, and pushed them through the holes on the plate, then stuck it to far right corner of windshield.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NJ is a 2 plate state, mine is in my windshield , being i didn't want to drill my skid plate on my ADD bumpers, went to lowes and bought 4 small suction cups, and pushed them through the holes on the plate, then stuck it to far right corner of windshield.

Have you had any issues with law enforcement due to the front plate location?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had any issues with law enforcement due to the front plate location?

Almost 3 yrs, no problems, even went through state inspection with it there, but we all know there are cops that overlook small/ stupid things, then you have the ones who just want a reason to bust balls, and can’t leave out how one speaks to the officer. Fingers crossed.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drive 20 minutes to work through the country, but we've got quite a few police that patrol the area. They never catch anyone speeding or passing illegally up a hill (extremely dangerous) but I got pulled over after a year of running no front plate and got a warning.

I think I'm going to dip mine, being careful to mimic the specialty plate white on black so that it looks like I just paid $300 for the vanity option. Added benefit is that the dip should be harder for cameras and radar to read, and peelable whenever.

Seems hit or miss running no front plate. Some guys go years here in Texas without issue, some have gotten hit 3x or more in a year.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Live in a wonderful state that requires a front plate and of course the dealer put the bracket right in the middle of the lower air inlet. Im considering drilling about 40 holes in the license plate to at least let some air get through. Has anyone tried this. I wouldve bought a relocating bracket but now the holes are already in the bumper from the dealer.

Mine has holes already drilled to place the front bracket in the center. Are they all pre drilled?

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 20 minutes to work through the country, but we've got quite a few police that patrol the area. They never catch anyone speeding or passing illegally up a hill (extremely dangerous) but I got pulled over after a year of running no front plate and got a warning.

I think I'm going to dip mine, being careful to mimic the specialty plate white on black so that it looks like I just paid $300 for the vanity option. Added benefit is that the dip should be harder for cameras and radar to read, and peelable whenever.

Seems hit or miss running no front plate. Some guys go years here in Texas without issue, some have gotten hit 3x or more in a year.

The hit or miss part may be the difference in which branch of law enforcement stops you.
I have never had a city pd or sheriff dept write me up for no front plate.
But, a state trooper has everytime.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The hit or miss part may be the difference in which branch of law enforcement stops you.
I have never had a city pd or sheriff dept write me up for no front plate.
But, a state trooper has everytime.[/quote]

Good point - it was a trooper that got me. City/sheriffs don't seem to care.

Last edited:

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have always driven without a front plate in Texas. I was pulled over once about 10 years ago over the 4th of July weekend between Austin and Houston on Hwy 290. He was using it as an excuse to see if I was drinking and driving, so he let me go with a warning. :smile:

Same here. Lived in Texas 12 years now and never had a front plate on any vehicle I've owned. Never had a cop mention either when pulled over for speeding. I park with numerous State Troopers, pretty sure they don't care around here.