Front end creaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm on the top perch, and have RPG tie rods and upper A arms. Stock springs and stock Fox shocks. The truck has 67k miles on it, and the suspension has been set up like this for around half those miles. I don't baby the thing, but I'm not an idiot with it either.

Over the past 10k miles or so, at slow speeds or stopped, the front end will creak. I can make it creak on command when (1) its cold and pulling out of the driveway, (2) rolling in reverse the first couple of feet after everything has warmed up, and (3) rocking the truck side to side from the outside.

I have confirmed it is NOT the control arms or tie rods. The sound is coming from (I'm almost positive) where the spring meets the top of the tower. As a test I drenched it once with WD40 and the sound went completely away for a little while.

Thoughts? Do you have the same issue? What's your setup? Any suggestions that don't involve taking everything apart?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Id Check for play in your uniballs. Mine did something similar and that was the issue. Had about the same mileage on them too.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My skid plates were over tightened and I could make my truck squeak and pop similar to what you described. Reseating the skids fixes my issue.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Id Check for play in your uniballs. Mine did something similar and that was the issue. Had about the same mileage on them too.

I actually agree....at least double check them to confirm for sure. What was described points to that as a direct culprit. Simple service swap of the uniball joint in the UCA might be it, mileage says its in the service window as well.

Jack up the truck from the LCA and have some one grab the top and bottom of the tire moving in and out looking for play in the uniball. Uniball joint inner ball should have zero play/movement inside the outter race. If no movement then it still could be that the teflon liner is worn. Could try a teflon dry lube and see if that helps. If you really think it is from the spring like you mentioned, I have no real input there. Good luck man, these are always fun to chase!!

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3 - Sounds like you need to check your uniballz and if their tight then grease your uniballz. Happened all the time on my FJ from off roading and getting dirt up in there, just had to re grease em every now and then.

Wash N' Grease your ballz people!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh. Ok. I keep the uni's lubed up with Teflon and the noise doesn't seem to be affected. I wonder why when I drenched the top of the spring and tower it quieted down?

I'll jack 'er up and test as suggested, and report back in the next few days. Thanks guys!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
did you replace the set screw in the spring perch when you raised it? my only thought is that the coil spring could be rotating slightly and the rubber cap at the top of the coilover assembly could be rubbing. or...there's a ton of dirt/dust built up at the top of your spring and it needs a solid cleaning?

try grabbing on to the coil and giving it a twist and see if that replicates the noise.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I checked the uni's and they have zero play. I twisted the spring and couldn't replicate the noise.

I did repeat my spray-and-pray test but this time with a quality penetrating oil (Kroil). I shot the top of the tower, and underneith where the spring seats as best I could and let it sit overnight.

Sure enough, the noise is 95% gone. I can still hear a slight something, but its no where near what it was. I'm thinking some of that super fine salt bed silt worked its way up in there over time, and the penetrating oil was able to saturate it enough to nullify its effects.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the upper cup it's a metal cup that is suppose to be pressed into the upper part of te shock mine was a little squeaky as well till it just fell down completely!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 99

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's where it's suppose to sit. The one in the pic above is on the driver side this pic is on the passenger side!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: