Front end pulse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently had my whole diff replaced after it grenaded. they replaced everything besides the drive front IWE, including the Dif housing. but I have the same pulsing in 2WD above 40-50+. I replaced the IWE because it was completely shot, but a new one didn't resolve the issue. if your in 2WD the pinion bearing shouldn't be moving,

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently had my whole diff replaced after it grenaded. they replaced everything besides the drive front IWE, including the Dif housing. but I have the same pulsing in 2WD above 40-50+. I replaced the IWE because it was completely shot, but a new one didn't resolve the issue. if your in 2WD the pinion bearing shouldn't be moving,
The pinion bearing is absolutely moving in 2H, everything up front moves in 2H, but not as fast as it does in 4A/H.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless ford changed it for 23, but everyone previously in 2h the iwe was disconnected and the transfer case. The front axels did not turn in 2h.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless ford changed it for 23, but everyone previously in 2h the iwe was disconnected and the transfer case. The front axels did not turn in 2h.
That’s not true. The IWEs unlock but the clutch for the 4A feature drags and causes the front driveshaft, diff, and CVs to spin, just at a lower speed than when the IWEs lock and 4A clutch is fully engaged.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I messed with mine today, after replacing the IWE yesterday, mine still growls in both 2H, 4A, 4H. im leaning mine towards either a bad hub bearing, or a drive shaft that is out of tolerance and long and rubbing the IWE. I didn't have this issue before the full diff replacement. Will take to dealer on Wednesday.

pinnacle747

Reaction score
Took mine to my closest dealer last Thursday and of course they said they couldn't replicate it. They didn't feel any unusual vibrating through the steering wheel or pedal, it's beyond me how you couldn't notice it. So as I was driving over the weekend on a very smooth road and decided to put it in 4A again. Immediately the vibration goes away in the steering wheel in 4A vs. 2H. Now I'm back to the drawing board thinking it's IWE related. In my 2015 I could just unplug the IWE solenoid and lock the front hubs in 2H, at least until I fixed it. I was losing vacuum in the lines. This one apparently has an electronic IWE system in which I don't know if I could still do that.
I have an appointment w/ another dealer tomorrow to have them take a look.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine to my closest dealer last Thursday and of course they said they couldn't replicate it. They didn't feel any unusual vibrating through the steering wheel or pedal, it's beyond me how you couldn't notice it. So as I was driving over the weekend on a very smooth road and decided to put it in 4A again. Immediately the vibration goes away in the steering wheel in 4A vs. 2H. Now I'm back to the drawing board thinking it's IWE related. In my 2015 I could just unplug the IWE solenoid and lock the front hubs in 2H, at least until I fixed it. I was losing vacuum in the lines. This one apparently has an electronic IWE system in which I don't know if I could still do that.
I have an appointment w/ another dealer tomorrow to have them take a look.
Not sure if this applies to your issue. But on cold starts the truck activates the front hubs for a few miles (assuming to warm up the diff) even in 2wd. So they could try to replicate but potentially not have the issue at all if they didn’t drive it for a while.