GEN 1 Front Axle Shaft Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One big suggestion if you are pulling the half shafts out replace the seal on the left side (drivers). The right side is a stub shaft.
Bit late. How do you do that? Just a seal puller pulling out from the diff? Then the usual gentle press/tap a new one in?

Maintecheib

Reaction score
There are a number of ways to pull out the bad seal, just don't damage the housing. For mine I used a chisel, folded it in then removed it. To install I used a bearing press installation tool. Just make sure you don't go in crooked.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Maintecheib

Reaction score
Fords part number: AL3Z-4B416-A. As much as I like Rock Auto and Timkin parts, I strongly recommend going with FoMoCo. I have learned the hard way that if I don't want my half shafts seeping to use OEM seals and shafts. They don't really leak as in drops but just enough to keep things in the area with that unmistakable oil stain.
Putting that number in Rock Autos "Parts Number" search and you will get:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=AL3Z-4B416-A

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fords part number: AL3Z-4B416-A. As much as I like Rock Auto and Timkin parts, I strongly recommend going with FoMoCo. I have learned the hard way that if I don't want my half shafts seeping to use OEM seals and shafts. They don't really leak as in drops but just enough to keep things in the area with that unmistakable oil stain.
Putting that number in Rock Autos "Parts Number" search and you will get:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=AL3Z-4B416-A

Ok, I'm going to give it a try. It looks like a standard seal puller should do the trick, and then tap the new seal in with a large socket. I've done this before, but a different type of axle. Looks the same though.

The one big question I have, how can you tell that the axle is truly seated all the way in? I mean, I gave it a solid push and it popped in, but there's no promising it isn't a millimeter out or something.

Johnny Psyhos

Reaction score
Found this thread and I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. I’m replacing my gen 1 passenger axle and the rubber seal won’t seat properly. Does it go in spot 1 or 2. I tried to put it in 1 because that’s where i found it when I pulled off the axle, and it was seated perfectly. But it looks like there’s a metal clip there. So confused

Attachments

• C7BF8B0A-8065-4FDD-82EF-D955FE961ECA.jpeg
    C7BF8B0A-8065-4FDD-82EF-D955FE961ECA.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 25

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was confused initially aswell, but it does in fact go in spot “2” verified this with ford dealer parts department when I ordered a new one as it is recommended. That metal circllip in spot one is what keeps the cv axle from pulling all the way out. If you look on the shaft, there is a slight indent groove where he o ring sits, also if you feel the inside of the CV, the edge is “cupped” or tapers out if you will to hold it in place once slid over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 10