GEN 1 Front Axle Shaft Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't find this being covered elsewhere. Is anyone familiar with replacing the front axle shafts? I think one of my CV joints is toast, or getting there. I am very familiar with IWE and shock replacement, but what else is entailed in removing the axle shaft? I haven't found any videos other than normal F150s - which have a different axle. Any videos out there or basic instructions? Do I have to open the diff and remove a clip or anything like that or can I just slide it out once I have the knuckle out of the way? Thanks for any direction. I hope to do this soon.

This is a 2012 Gen 1.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shaft pops out. i accidentally popped mine out when i was changing shocks. theres giant ball bearings and a retainer ring that need to go back in place when the shaft goes back in, but its not hard. definitely easier with 2 people

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the shaft pops out. i accidentally popped mine out when i was changing shocks. theres giant ball bearings and a retainer ring that need to go back in place when the shaft goes back in, but its not hard. definitely easier with 2 people
Ok, so I can just pull it out when I'm doing shocks and it'll just be that easy?

Going back in, you're saying that you kinda need to keep crap aligned and in the right spot, but no clips or bolts or opening the diff.

I will definitely have at least one other person when I do this. To be specific, this is the driver's side in my situation.

Maintecheib

Reaction score
I replaced both front CV axles on my 2011. Very simple connection to the differential. Pop out pop in, the fun is putting the IWE and parts back on. Not that difficult. I did them myself when I replace the shocks, wheel bearing and stuff.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced both front CV axles on my 2011. Very simple connection to the differential. Pop out pop in, the fun is putting the IWE and parts back on. Not that difficult. I did them myself when I replace the shocks, wheel bearing and stuff.
I've done IWE, shocks, and wheel bearings a few times - so no worries there. Appreciate the info. Hoping to get to this next Saturday (assuming the parts come in).

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't manage any pics since I was a greaseball the whole time. But it was mostly as expected above, basically get to the IWE replacement part and you can pull the axle shaft out. It took a few pretty good tugs, but it came out. I had a BEAST of a time putting in the new axle shaft. I somehow managed to separate the inner CV and couldn't get it reseated without pulling the shaft back out - which was impossible without removing the whole knuckle. Sooo, I had to do that and eventually got the axle shaft CV back together. That was annoying, but I got it all back together. Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm leaking from where the shaft splines push into the diff or if it's just residual. Is there any way to know that axle is shoved all the way back in? It looks like it, but you couldn't tell if it was a millimeter out or something.

Also, replacing my IWE didn't fix my scraping noise. Turns out I have a vacuum leak on my driver's side. I'm suuuuper happy with myself for not testing that BEFORE replacing the IWE. I know better. Oh well, now I have a good spare IWE.