Fox 3.0 Rear Shocks Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting Fox 3.0 rear shocks. I know they don't improve travel, but im wondering if they are worth the price if I mainly drive it on road with about 15-20% off road. I know most improvements will be seen off road so I'm wondering if they are worth it. I also tow a 4,000 LB boat once a month. (I have the RPG stage 3 kit already with Deavers). Thanks in advance!

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting Fox 3.0 rear shocks. I know they don't improve travel, but im wondering if they are worth the price if I mainly drive it on road with about 15-20% off road. I know most improvements will be seen off road so I'm wondering if they are worth it. I also tow a 4,000 LB boat once a month. (I have the RPG stage 3 kit already with Deavers). Thanks in advance!

Gonna match it with 3.0 fronts?

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually down the road they will be matched with fronts, but not for a long time. For now I'm staying with stock front and RPG Uppers.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your offroad time. Is it 40mph and slower? Is it 70mph over whoops and rutted out roads? If you dont drive the truck hard, the stock shocks are great. If youre balls out for hour at a time thru the desert youll feel the stock shocks fade. If you do drive hard, the 3.0s out back wont make the truck much faster thru the rough because your front shocks would hold you back. Typically you want to replace all 4. For the time being, Id say the stock shocks are great
Ive put the stock pieces thru really fast rutted out, whoop sections and the truck works well as is

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your offroad time. Is it 40mph and slower? Is it 70mph over whoops and rutted out roads? If you dont drive the truck hard, the stock shocks are great. If youre balls out for hour at a time thru the desert youll feel the stock shocks fade. If you do drive hard, the 3.0s out back wont make the truck much faster thru the rough because your front shocks would hold you back. Typically you want to replace all 4. For the time being, Id say the stock shocks are great
Ive put the stock pieces thru really fast rutted out, whoop sections and the truck works well as is

I would agree with this as well.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.0 shocks will enable you to move through the same terrain 20% faster with the shit eating grin flashing. Bigger hits for extended durations. Do you need that? Probably not, so it's more a matter of funds, if money isn't an issue, YES you need them.

If money is an issue, Get brake pads new rotors and steel lines before you get all BJ Baldwin on us.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree w/Jan T both on and off road performance is an improvement.

Expansion joints, parking blocks, curbs, "big speed bumps" even man made drops between uneven parking lots - which are not made for vehicles are met with firmer dampening.

Not to mention the tuning and custom valving features make the 3ohs a no brainier.

New replacement OEM shocks are $700, so why not spend a couple hundo more and upgrade, then sell your OEMs to offset the upgrade. Or keep them as spares for when your 3.0s get rebuilt.

Then again, some (cough spouse) can't event tell the diff. Between OEM and 3.0 so...

Last edited: