Ford Racing Skid - Install - Comparison to stock w/pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the same thickness or gauge steel. when holding both the FRP version is much heavier.

I think its thicker making it more durable.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the same thickness or gauge steel. when holding both the FRP version is much heavier.

I think its thicker making it more durable.

It's the same base part (stamped on both skids). They measure the same also.

OP
OP
AndyR

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed and pretty soft stuff as well, not 6061 AFAIK.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. I cut thru it like butter when mounting up my bull bar (not that any aluminum would have given me too hard a time, but still this stuff offered zero resistance at all)

20.jpg

22.jpg

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts on skids... for what it's worth (probably not much)

Except for maybe low speed rock crawling, I'd rather the skid plate "give" and absorb most of the energy of the impact.

A solid skid plate that won't bend or give at all during a high speed impact will transfer ALL of that energy to something else... and frames on newer vehicles are designed to bend in a collision. I'd rather bend a skid plate than a frame rail. YMMV

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts on skids... for what it's worth (probably not much)

Except for maybe low speed rock crawling, I'd rather the skid plate "give" and absorb most of the energy of the impact.

A solid skid plate that won't bend or give at all during a high speed impact will transfer ALL of that energy to something else... and frames on newer vehicles are designed to bend in a collision. I'd rather bend a skid plate than a frame rail. YMMV

This makes sense to me.

I have a lot of RC trucks and I build my trucks to have a weakness or place that absorbs the energy from an impact.