Ford Performance Rear Diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use strikethrough font if this forum had it. I thought this cover was aluminum and posted the following. Thanks for the correction on it being nodular iron. For someone out playing in the rocks I wouldn’t recommend this mod. On my Bronco when it still had the 8.8 axle I peeled back the bottom of the steel diff cover once (I then ground the lip off of it) and dented the cover slipping backwards more than once. I’m thinking the aluminum cover could crack if subjected to a similar impact.

I installed the Mag Hytec cover as the first mod on my Dodge 2500 back in 2008, with that stink bug stance on the diesel the diff cover really showed nicely. It also added 2 quarts of fluid.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For someone out playing in the rocks I wouldn’t recommend this mod. On my Bronco when it still had the 8.8 axle I peeled back the bottom of the steel diff cover once (I then ground the lip off of it) and dented the cover slipping backwards more than once. I’m thinking the aluminum cover could crack if subjected to a similar impact.

I installed the Mag Hytec cover as the first mod on my Dodge 2500 back in 2008, with that stink bug stance on the diesel the diff cover really showed nicely. It also added 2 quarts of fluid.
Uhh, this cover is not aluminum. It is much heavier duty steel. The main selling point, besides looks and easy draining, is it is much stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh, this cover is not aluminum. It is much heavier duty steel. The main selling point, besides looks and easy draining, is it is much stronger.

Well, that changes things. Thanks for the knowledge. I’m still not impressed by most products that are COO India, but that’s the global economy at work.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to tools I’d prefer China, the stuff I received COO India is true garbage.

well, indian food is better than Chinese any day of the week, and hopefully they'll be at war with each other here before another month or two goes by...I'm all for backing India.

The Ford Performance diff covers have been available and threads have been on here for years about them, no one has ever said the quality was bad before. This is a well established and regarded product.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, indian food is better than Chinese any day of the week, and hopefully they'll be at war with each other here before another month or two goes by...I'm all for backing India.

The Ford Performance diff covers have been available and threads have been on here for years about them, no one has ever said the quality was bad before. This is a well established and regarded product.

I agree with you on Indian food vs Chinese food, but I still prefer Thai.

Thanks for the info, I’m not trying to suggest that this cover is junk regardless of COO, but my experience with other COO India products has been poor when it comes to tools. I also didn’t realize this cover was nodular iron. In the past many of this type of cover were made of cast aluminum and were prone to cracking if there was an impact. I’m new to Raptors but not new to offroading. I’m reading a bunch of threads and such to make a shopping list for my newly ordered Scab.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread on here that the guys at Gale Banks did with transparent copies of different diff covers and what happens to the oil inside when the gears are spinning...very enlightening! Squared off covers perform very poorly as far as lubing and cooling the gears, even though they hold more fluid.

Go with a cover that matches the internal contour of the factory cover. The Ford Performance one is good, but there are several others that are aluminum and some even have big fins hanging down, perfect to get ripped off the truck by the first available rock....Of course, if you're a pavement driving mall crawler, then get the square diff cover and throw on a lift kit while you're at it...