Ford Performance Rear Diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRMFAM

Reaction score
Thanks, it’s very simple, just watch the videos. I’m a novice and my only problem, was, I didn’t check my torque wrench before I started and had to scramble to borrow my buddies as mine didn’t go to 11 and 14. Yeah, that is my sons first big boy bed set (6 years old, he’s now 28), comes in handy...
Todd what oil did you put in?

Where did you order the diff cover from. You seem to be like me and shop for deals and I more than happy to leverage your hard work! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd what oil did you put in?

Where did you order the diff cover from. You seem to be like me and shop for deals and I more than happy to leverage your hard work! [emoji23]

Agreed, always best to shop around. I bought my Ford Performance Diff cover from Roman, NEO-Garage, he’s great. Free shipping and no tax and competitive pricing. Bought the rear diff oil directly from AMSOIL. I signed up for their 6 month membership and took advantage of the discount and also bought their signature series engine oil and their oil filter.

One thing I did learn after I already completed the install, and I’ll pass along to every, is, I noticed the OEM rear diff bolts I removed appears to have “red” lock tight on the threads. The instructions did not call for any lock tight. I did think about apply some, but was worried perhaps the lock tight might seep into the gear oil. Not sure what the correct thing to do is. I don’t off-road the truck so I’m not too worried about it.
Good luck.

AC670DCD-E19E-4745-8071-331B64A0BEA3.jpeg

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic but where did you get the exhaust wraps from? On topic, did you use the stock bolts that came with or get different bolts?
Exhaust wraps came installed from the manufacturer on the Corsa Extreme CAT back with resonate delete.

I used only three bolts as they have the “studs” you’ll need to reinstall some type of wiring. All the other bolts I used the Ford Performance ones that were included.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more off topic question....that looks like a Stainless Works exhaust, does it rub/touch your spare tire at all? Mine does...
Hi, no, it’s Corsa Extreme with Gunmetal tips and res delete. Sounds amazing, no raspy sound. Closes sound I could find that reminds me of my Gen1 Roush...

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Literally the hardest part is putting the new oil in.
I agree, for me, the hardest part was holding the new rear diff cover and getting one bolt started, I didn’t want to have it slip and hit the gears. A second person would have been nice.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right, I felt the same way. Love the fact that I can now change my own rear diff oil and it has a magnet to catch any metal.
Hi
That looks great. I plan on doing the same thing. Did you use Amsoil ? How many quarts did it take and what weight did you use.
Thanks

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi
That looks great. I plan on doing the same thing. Did you use Amsoil ? How many quarts did it take and what weight did you use.
Thanks
Hi. Yes, I used AMSOIL and it took just under 4 quarts. Be sure to have your truck on a level surface when filling the diff with oil so you don’t overfill it. Also, when you are on your 4th quart, slowly pour in the oil until there’s a slow steady about of oil dripping out of the fill hole. Good luck.

TRMFAM

Reaction score
Hi. Yes, I used AMSOIL and it took just under 4 quarts. Be sure to have your truck on a level surface when filling the diff with oil so you don’t overfill it. Also, when you are on your 4th quart, slowly pour in the oil until there’s a slow steady about of oil dripping out of the fill hole. Good luck.
Todd I assume you used the amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

On the amsoil page What is the Note use Motocraft... is that a friction modifier you have to add or just telling what the factory rec is?

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see if Banks comes out with one of their new patented covers for our rear diff before I pull the trigger. I have a message out to them to see if they have a timeline, etc. If not, I'd also go with the Ford Performance over AFE or other "flat" style covers.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Yes, 75-90 is what I used. I’m not sure about the note you’re referring too. I called and spoke with AMSOIL about the engine oil and rear diff and oil filter. I purchased over the phone and they didn’t mention anything about what you’re referring too. I watched a couple of videos and read some instructions, never came across any type of friction modifier. Let me know if you discover something different.

I just looked this note I think you’re referring to on AMSOIL web site, this note refers to the same note (recommendations) listed in your Ford Owners manual. Other than this, I’m not sure about any friction modifier. I believe AMSOIL rear diff oil includes everything needed for our rear diff lubricants. Hope this helps

8EDE9F21-309B-4885-BDFC-EFF2862A1CD0.png

Last edited: