Ford Performance Rear Diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Installed last night, used Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear. Used bolts supplied, black grade 8. Torqued to 20 ft lbs. easy install and easy fill with the Amsoil

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It always nice to see an owner cleaning out the diff before installing the new cover.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed last night, used Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear. Used bolts supplied, black grade 8. Torqued to 20 ft lbs. easy install and easy fill with the Amsoil
Glad to hear you changed yours as well. I capitulated about adhering to the torque instructions that are included with the Ford Permanence Diff cover and that of which Is listed in what I read/videos I watched. Why did you settle on 20 ft lbs of torque? I seem to recall the instructions called for 24 ft lbs, but can be certain.

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
I’ll go back and check but the instructions for the Ford Performance cover (have spicer install instructions) say 20-24 ft lbs. The CJ Pony Parts video calls for 14 ft lbs. I figured I’d go with the 20 to be safe.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll go back and check but the instructions for the Ford Performance cover (have spicer install instructions) say 20-24 ft lbs. The CJ Pony Parts video calls for 14 ft lbs. I figured I’d go with the 20 to be safe.
You’re correct with the CJ Video calling fir 14 ft lbs and I believe 11 ft lbs on the fill hole and drain plugs.
This installation video calls for 14 ft lbs as well.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Redline 75w-85. Also, if you want to save a few bucks, buy the Spicer branded cover, which is exactly the same cover but with a Spicer tag instead of a Ford Performance tag. About 100 bucks cheaper.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Redline 75w-85. Also, if you want to save a few bucks, buy the Spicer branded cover, which is exactly the same cover but with a Spicer tag instead of a Ford Performance tag. About 100 bucks cheaper.
Nice, yes, I considered the Spicer as well to save a significant amount of $$, but thought to myself, given Ford is so strict with aftermarket products, if there ever was any issuers with the rear diff, I didn’t want to give Ford an out not to honor the warrantee.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Yes, I used AMSOIL and it took just under 4 quarts. Be sure to have your truck on a level surface when filling the diff with oil so you don’t overfill it. Also, when you are on your 4th quart, slowly pour in the oil until there’s a slow steady about of oil dripping out of the fill hole. Good luck.
Thank you Todd..