Ford Performance Rear Diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use the new bolts since they’re designed for the cover. If they don’t provide a torque spec in the instructions, I would torque the bolts to the factory spec of 33 lb-ft.
Thanks man. Maybe I should have read the actual instructions. They specify using the new bolts and torquing to 20-25 ft lbs.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, got my Ford Performance cover with Lube Locker gasket on yesterday. I used the new bolts and torqued them to 20, then 22, then ultimately 24 ft lbs. No issues with broken bolts and so far no leaks.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Salty roads took its toll on my diff cover. I think it’s a powdercoat because it was peeling off and paint stripper wouldn’t touch it.

IMG_5931.jpeg

Decided to get it blasted:

IMG_5940.jpeg

I was gonna used epoxy paint but I decided to use POR-15. After etching and POR-15 rust inhibitor:

IMG_5941.jpeg
IMG_5942.jpeg

Finally, I decided to get fancy and go with Ford Corporate Blue engine enamel:

IMG_5957.jpeg

Anybody have any ideas for a nameplate? The Dana Spicer nameplate is faded.

I will post an update after I get the cover back on.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yikes....mine has Been on for 25k miles over about 2 years. I am garaged, and my diff cover still looks brand new.

I too used the new bolts, except for one. Had a torque wrench malfunction and broke a head off. luckily, was able to easily extract the broken one and just used an old bolt. lock tight on all the bolts

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI the broken bolts issue is also common with the Jeep Wrangler. I remember many posts about bolts snapping during a diff service/cover swap.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI the broken bolts issue is also common with the Jeep Wrangler. I remember many posts about bolts snapping during a diff service/cover swap.
The bolts snap before you strip the shit out of your housing. Absolutely no reason to obsess over this . Use new or old an tq them to 22 ftlbs with loctite. If yr good with rtv or have lube locker gasket it wont leak.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bolts snap before you strip the shit out of your housing. Absolutely no reason to obsess over this . Use new or old an tq them to 22 ftlbs with loctite. If yr good with rtv or have lube locker gasket it wont leak.
Yeah that's not true because some snap when removing them. I've read others have snapped possibly from left over rtv creating additional pressure in the bolt hole. I'm sure there are a number of explanations.