Ford Gen3 Raptor and it's future- R's in greater #'s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
That’s a superduty work truck motor now. Let’s see, change the block to aluminum, add twin turbos and retune. Now we have a motor lighter than the Predator 5.2SC and a whole lot larger @ 7.3L. That would keep the Raptors balance and deliver oh 800 lbs-ft @ 2k rpm lol. It’s nice to fantasy build.

Ford while they will have the 3.5 gas sipper, I can’t see them building a Raptor R that still won’t obtain better range than a TRX.
I was next to one in traffic the other day. It's sized about like a 3/4 ton, taller, heavier. I bet a slightly larger turbo motor would turn better mileage than a supercharged, per epa BS anyway.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was next to one in traffic the other day. It's sized about like a 3/4 ton, taller, heavier. I bet a slightly larger turbo motor would turn better mileage than a supercharged, per epa BS anyway.
Probably so. That blower is on the belt full time. The turbos are on demand.

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a former Gen 1 owner who skipped Gen 2, then decided on a TRX over Gen 3.

If the Raptor R is a superior product to the TRX, I will happily switch back to Ford.

I suspect many people out there are like me - the best truck earns the business.
To each is own but I think we should wait for a couple of years before naming the trx the best truck. Raptor has stood the test of time and the gen3 is not designed to compete with the trx. I compare this to the Mustang camaro fight. Camaro had a benchmark and Ford, the innovator did not and in that respect continues to look forward. They can appreciate the trx but do not fear it.

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely zero interest in the TRX and zero desire to own one at any price. The entire notion that the TRX is the new king and “beat” the raptor just because it has a v8 or more hp is laughable.

This is coming from someone who’s owned three Dodge/Ram trucks. Junk.
Yeah, nothing like standing the test of time. I can appreciate the Stellantis TRX but I have zero interest in owning one.

Dtsgli

Reaction score
I have been confusing TRX’s for a Rebel (and vice versa) whenever I see them. Not sure how many people confuse a F-150 with an FX4 package for a Raptor on the other hand.
The Gen 3 design took care of that. It looks too plain with aftermarket bushwacker fender flares.

Dtsgli

Reaction score
Cruises the TRX forum today to see if there were any new issues owners are seeing out of the factory, and to someone who asked if a lot of raptor owners really are leaving for the TRX, this was posted tonight and lots of former raptor owners posting:

Dtsgli

Reaction score
I had a Gen 1 for a few years and borrowed a Gen 2 801a from my dealer friend for a few weeks. Loved the Gen 1 but the Gen 2 was just faster and felt lighter, better overall daily driver.

Just spent a couple weeks in a TRX that my friend took in on trade. The TRX was a loaded level 2 so adding that in, but overall the TRX was the truck to daily drive despite the MPG’s. Quiet, instant trq, softer ride even in street mode, and much better interior. And yes better still than the 2021 F150 interior redesign.

I hate admitting it, the only thing the jury is really out on is the overall reliability. Also B&O unleashed is a bit better than the TRX HK system.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I wanted a street truck today, I'd buy a TRX. That's a no-brainer. Waiting is BS. Bird in the hand vs vaporware. Fun fun until daddy takes the T-bird away. Ford has no excuse for not seeing it coming. But I don't want a street truck and I don't need a truck today. I can afford to wait for something that fits my needs better. That doesn't mean that I look down on anyone who buys a TRX. You buy what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks. No need to justify your choice to anyone, either way. F' 'em. F' 'em all. My better ain't your better but mo' better is way better. So there. :)

SJDVMPT

Reaction score
I’m just joining the Raptor clan and can’t wait to get my Gen 3 with a build date of August 9th. I’m coming from a RRS SVR that was a beast. I considered a TRX; however, poor gas mileage and range were the big deterrent for my everyday driver. The Raptor checks all the boxes for me except for some extra hp. I was hoping for at least 500hp. If they would have just increased the power 50-75 hp, I don’t think there would be that many Raptor owners jumping ship. I am looking forward to the Raptor retaining its value where the TRX is unproven in this category. The Raptor R will be amazing and certainly should stop some from going to the TRX if they make them available. The winds of change are blowing and we may be talking about Raptor Lightnings in the next couple of years.