Ford Gen3 Raptor and it's future- R's in greater #'s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
New member to the forum here, been lurking for a couple of weeks just reading up and trying to gather information. I currently own a 2018 F150 but will be placing an order for a 2022 Raptor 35 or TRX here in the next couple of months. I am still on the fence about which way I want to go. Threads like this intrigue me as I see so many comments from folks speaking negatively of the TRX yet they have yet to sit it one, much less drive one. Strange mentality but I understand some people are very brand loyal.

A friend of mine let me borrow his TRX for a week and I will not lie, I was absolutely blown away. The fit and finish both inside and out was eye-opening to me. It is just another level up from the 13th Gen F150s. I have checked out the new 14th Gen Platinums at the dealer and while it is a huge step up, the material quality and fit/finish still lags behind the RAMs. There is just so much cheap flimsy plastic in the Ford's. The power is obviously incredible and the ride quality with the 5 link was extremely impressive. I expect the Gen 3 Raptor will be similar now that they have gone 5 link as well. The only downside to the truck is that I averaged 9 mpg and with a 33 gallon tank the range is pretty pathetic. I have been spoiled nearly 650 mile range in my current F150. For exterior styling I was skeptical from the pictures and videos I had seen, but in person they look so much better. Looking in the side mirrors at the rear fenders you feel like you are looking at the hips of a 911 Porsche. I was pretty much sold after the week of driving the TRX. The color options are really disappointing though, Ford is crushing RAM here. The 22 TRX is getting Uconnect 5 which will have wireless Carplay/AA.

But then the Gen 3 Raptor configurator went live and more pictures and videos started surfacing. Spec for spec the Gen 3 Raptor is about 10k cheaper than the TRX if you pay MSRP. They are a number of TRX dealers selling at 5k under MSPR, so that really closes the gap. The styling of the Gen 3 is growing on me and I do think the Raptor is going to have a more distinct look going down the road than the TRX. I love the wide trophy truck front end of the Raptor. Obviously, the powertrain is a sore spot in my decision-making process. I have spent almost 4 years now with the Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed trans. Other than clunky downshifts in the 10speed the powertrain combo is incredible, easily the best in the industry compared to the 5.7 and LS options from the competitors. The Hellcat motor, 8 speed ZF and the AWD of the TRX is a deadly combo though. No matter your disdain for RAM products, there is no way you walk away from a test drive not giggling like a school girl at an NSYNC concert.

I am definitely waiting to see a Gen 3 in person and hopefully drive one before I make a decision. Right now I am really torn but I am enjoying hearing the perspective of others on this forum who have owned both trucks and can give unbiased opinions.

Wow.. a well-reasoned, open-minded, thoughtful post involving the Gen 3 and TRX.

Are we.. is this - did I die?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... Threads like this intrigue me as I see so many comments from folks speaking negatively of the TRX yet they have yet to sit it one, much less drive one. Strange mentality but I understand some people are very brand loyal...
Lotsa fanboys on enthusiast sites. Lotsa trolls, too. Goes with the territory.

... The only downside to the truck is that I averaged 9 mpg and with a 33 gallon tank the range is pretty pathetic...
This is why I will never consider one. Or a Raptor R unless Ford does some twin turbo magic to a small V8 and gets decent range along with the power. Blown V8s are for the street and I have no interest in street driving. Since I have no dog in this fight, I also enjoy watching the drama.

Sephiroth

Reaction score
Lotsa fanboys on enthusiast sites. Lotsa trolls, too. Goes with the territory.

This is why I will never consider one. Or a Raptor R unless Ford does some twin turbo magic to a small V8 and gets decent range along with the power. Blown V8s are for the street and I have no interest in street driving. Since I have no dog in this fight, I also enjoy watching the drama.
Agreed on all your points. Wanna share some popcorn? I like drama...

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how you drew the conclusion that people are leaving FRF and buying a TRX in mass. Are you on a TRX forum where people are claiming to come from FRF?

FRF almost made a lot of changes to the forum that ticked quite a few people off. They left for that reason, not because they bought a TRX.

Yep and one big change, deleting a section...on Jun4. Traffic estimate numbers bear that out.
Its not the TRX.

1626809545377.png

Last edited:

esigfrid250

Reaction score
I would still love to see a Top Gear style head to head with the same driver in each on an identical piece of earth, just saying. I'm not saying the raptor will win, I would just like to see it with all variables excluded. Those videos show nothing!

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would still love to see a Top Gear style head to head with the same driver in each on an identical piece of earth, just saying. I'm not saying the raptor will win, I would just like to see it with all variables excluded. Those videos show nothing!
meh, I'd like to see the TRX complete the Baja 1000 in the allotted time.

bwahahahaha

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been confusing TRX’s for a Rebel (and vice versa) whenever I see them. Not sure how many people confuse a F-150 with an FX4 package for a Raptor on the other hand.

perry

Reaction score
What trigger fish said! There’s a z06 in my garage because of the Sh%# show roll out of the new GT 350 back in the day. People will leave.