Ford ESP questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing an ESP for my truck, which is still covered by the 3/36 factory warranty (but will be expiring at the end of December when my 3 years is up), and I have a few questions:
  1. If I buy the ESP now, my plan is to add the 'First Day Rental' option. I actually need to have some warranty work done on the truck soon (within the next couple weeks), and my local dealer service department sent me an email that says "Since you are under factory warranty, your extended service plan would not cover a rental and your factory warranty does not provide or cover a rental either." Is that true? Seems completely wrong to me that the ESP wouldn't cover it if I'd already bought the ESP, even though the factory warranty was still valid.
  2. How does the rental coverage work? It seems to be a $30 'credit' towards a rental/loaner. Having never gotten a rental/loaner from the dealer when I go in for warranty work, should I expect that the $30 will cover the entire cost of the vehicle? Or will it only take $30 off of what's normally a $50/day price, meaning I'd still be responsible for the remaining $20/day?
  3. The 'Enhanced Rental' covers vehicles up to $60/day. Again, would that then cover the entire price of an upgraded rental, or would it only cover $60/day of what's normally an $80/day rental?
  4. The 'Key Services' feature seems like a good way to get another spare key made for the one time ~$100 fee. Could I just tell them I want another key made, or do I have to tell them I lost one so that they can make me what they think is the 2nd key, but would actually be my 3rd?
Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1a: sounds fishy. and lazy.
2a: My former dealer had loaner coverage available on request and provided it with scheduling for warranty repairs. for non covered you could rent and the vehicles were provided from a local Enterprise. The stealership maintained a small fleet for customer shuttling and loaners. Of course in the current environment, that may be a bit tighter. With the ESP, they cover your rental with a set amount so if you are getting a Lincoln Continental black label while your truck is being worked on, expect to have to pay out of pocket.
3a: if you’re under 60 bucks per day, essentially no charge to you.
4a: don’t do this. it’s cheating and part of why vehicles and warranties cost so much. get the keys off the ‘net, program them yourself and have a locksmith cut for you.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1a: sounds fishy. and lazy.
2a: My former dealer had loaner coverage available on request and provided it with scheduling for warranty repairs. for non covered you could rent and the vehicles were provided from a local Enterprise. The stealership maintained a small fleet for customer shuttling and loaners. Of course in the current environment, that may be a bit tighter. With the ESP, they cover your rental with a set amount so if you are getting a Lincoln Continental black label while your truck is being worked on, expect to have to pay out of pocket.
3a: if you’re under 60 bucks per day, essentially no charge to you.
4a: don’t do this. it’s cheating and part of why vehicles and warranties cost so much. get the keys off the ‘net, program them yourself and have a locksmith cut for you.
So, if the dealership says the first day rental isn't covered, are they right? Or will I be able to prove that they're wrong? I suppose it's possible that the person I was emailing with (who was just trying to get an appointment scheduled) doesn't know how the ESP really works. I did also find it a little strange that they said that I could talk to the service manager when I brought the truck in and dropped it out to find out if a rental would be covered or not (seems like it's a little late at that point, as I'd really like to have things organized a bit better than that if I really wanted a rental for the day). That's what they said previous to saying that it wasn't covered because the factory warranty didn't cover it.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the ESP with rental. I still have to remind my service advisor every time I take it in that I'm entitled to a rental. Then I have to go through a different person to make it happen. Kind of a pain but so far, I haven't had to use it all that often so it hasn't been a big deal

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the ESP with rental. I still have to remind my service advisor every time I take it in that I'm entitled to a rental. Then I have to go through a different person to make it happen. Kind of a pain but so far, I haven't had to use it all that often so it hasn't been a big deal
And is your factory warranty still valid, or has it expired? I'm guessing that my dealer wouldn't have a problem with honoring the rental through my ESP once my factory warranty has expired. I think (hope) there's just some confusion by whoever I'd been communicating with. Perhaps if I talked to the service advisor then he/she would have no problem with it, even if I was still below 3/36. I might just make an appointment to drop the truck off for an appointment and talk to them about it then and see what happens.