For those that went to the Darkside (TRX)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

engine45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded my gen2 in yesterday for a trx that I ordered. And it was delivered in 2 months. Still can’t believe it. Loved my gen2. But. This trx is freaking awesome. Pulleys and a tune maybe a blanket it should be crazy. And it feels taller than my gen2 getting in it. The interior is way nicer too.

Last edited:

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me I can only compare the TRX to my old 2020. I haven't had the option to drive a 3rd Gen with the EcoPoop.

The 3rd Gen Raptor very well could be a better truck (V6 or V8) when off roading at speed because of the weight. Again, for me not an issue as I don't off road at speed (not really an option in Montana).
Why do you keep saying ecopoop? Is it your intention to insult us in our own forum? If so what do you stand to gain?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why do you keep saying ecopoop? Is it your intention to insult us in our own forum? If so what do you stand to gain?
I think it's funny that anyone cares. I do detest the name, eco-anything is fücktarded and woke. But I repeat myself. :) I love the engine and would take it any day over a V8. That people look down on it and would rather have a V8 with less torque and less horsepower and worse mileage just because it sounds cool I find hilarious. I've heard the TRX accelerate away from a stoplight. It did nothing for me. Zero. Nada. If I had my druthers, my truck would be quiet. The quieter the better. I've driven electric cars and one thing I loved was how quiet they were.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devils advocate for a minute....
- those buying in this price range don't care about MPG.. that said, the TRX mpg combined with the smaller gas tank is a common complaint on longer trips
- if it's not going to be taken off road...and let's be honest here on the percentage that do....then nose heavy, desert performance, and true off road capability is irrelevant.
- "way more expensive" is a relative term. Depends on the spec/options...dealer markups notwithstanding
- depending on the intended use of the truck, 37s aren't necessarily a deal-breaker.

I've never owned a Dodge product so I can't speak to build quality and reliability. But based on what I've seen:
- TRX power performance speaks for itself
- the interior finish appears to be far superior.
No one can speak to build quality and reliability because it’s non existent with dodge. I’ve said this time and time again. Take a look at the history of Dodge over the past 15 years… they have one strategy. They make a mediocre product with no longevity whatsoever. Then every few years they take that same dumpster fire, stick a high horsepower engine into it (ie. the Neon SRT4, the Ram SRT 10, the Charger SRT 8, Charger Hellcat, and now the Ram TRX). When was the last time you saw any of the older mentioned cars on the road on a regular basis? After 11 years in law enforcement and having been assigned 3 generations of Chargers (two of which were brand new) I can tell you there’s not a single thing that didn’t happen to them or the Durango’s in our fleet while our crown Vics (god rest their souls lol) kept on truckin. Broken motor mounts, engine failures, transmission failures, fuel leaks…half the department were constantly driving pool cars because the chargers and durangos were always at the dealer for major warranty repairs. As far as the TRX…what did Dodge do? Instead of doing what Ford did and developing a new product that can hold its own wherever you take it, they slapped a supercharger on a V-8 that makes 702 horsepower, stuck it in the same old Ram 1500, and marketed the truck encouraging new owners to take it to Moab. End result? A bunch of stranded confused owners out in places that truck doesn’t belong. Sure it’s a fast straight line truck which if anything can run with the new Shelby F150. Their 702 horsepower is meaningless when it comes to off-roading or traversing terrain and, just like every other specialty vehicle they’ve put out, a horsepower number is their only selling point. It’s a joke. If the horsepower number is so important there are 18,463 different ways to get your Raptor to that number and beyond for a fraction of that price and you’ll know she won’t leave you stranded wondering why you financed a dumpster fire.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No one can speak to build quality and reliability because it’s non existent with dodge. I’ve said this time and time again. Take a look at the history of Dodge over the past 15 years… they have one strategy. They make a mediocre product with no longevity whatsoever. Then every few years they take that same dumpster fire, stick a high horsepower engine into it (ie. the Neon SRT4, the Ram SRT 10, the Charger SRT 8, Charger Hellcat, and now the Ram TRX). When was the last time you saw any of the older mentioned cars on the road on a regular basis? After 11 years in law enforcement and having been assigned 3 generations of Chargers (two of which were brand new) I can tell you there’s not a single thing that didn’t happen to them or the Durango’s in our fleet while our crown Vics (god rest their souls lol) kept on truckin. Broken motor mounts, engine failures, transmission failures, fuel leaks…half the department were constantly driving pool cars because the chargers and durangos were always at the dealer for major warranty repairs. As far as the TRX…what did Dodge do? Instead of doing what Ford did and developing a new product that can hold its own wherever you take it, they slapped a supercharger on a V-8 that makes 702 horsepower, stuck it in the same old Ram 1500, and marketed the truck encouraging new owners to take it to Moab. End result? A bunch of stranded confused owners out in places that truck doesn’t belong. Sure it’s a fast straight line truck which if anything can run with the new Shelby F150. Their 702 horsepower is meaningless when it comes to off-roading or traversing terrain and, just like every other specialty vehicle they’ve put out, a horsepower number is their only selling point. It’s a joke. If the horsepower number is so important there are 18,463 different ways to get your Raptor to that number and beyond for a fraction of that price and you’ll know she won’t leave you stranded wondering why you financed a dumpster fire.

It was pretty telling when the keynote speaker at the press release couldn’t emphasize the launch control and 0-60 times enough. That’s it’s party trick.

AlecH

Reaction score
My 2 cents. I ordered 2022 trx on June 7, 2022. But i stoped at the local Ford dealer and looked at the new Raptor, i was not shocked since i was already driving 2019 F350 platinum. The interior was nice. Two weeks later I traded in my super duty diesel babe for 22 raptor with no test driving or any other visits. So time goes buy and i am 90% confident that i will cancel my trx order. I am happened to be the previous GTR owner and this truck is the best mix of both worlds. I know trx is better in quality of materials inside, but it lack’s utility. I travel all over the country and that includes beaches, dirt, snow Etc. there is no way that alcantara is easier to maintain then just leather. I think Ford is just few steps ahead of the game. Many new cars and trucks come with eco style materials on the inside, and I admire that. Those materials are way more durable and easier to maintain. Everyone talks about Ford power as it is lacking, it is not. There is enough power to put smile on your face. I previously owned 2015 gtr, 2017 z06 convertible and 2018 tesla x p100d. You need to look into the heart of the Raptor. Lets say you decide to go for off road ride in trx you either bring extra fuel or just make sure you stay close to the gas pump, with Ford Raptor You have Freedom. Go faster and further. Just a side note my tesla x was doing 3.2 sec or less in 0-60 but i would trade that car for my Gen 3 Raptor any day, TRX is nervously smoking in the corner. Again just my 2 cents.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are the people selling themselves short -----> Ford Enthusiast < Truck Enthusiast. If the better vehicle isn't your #1 option you are doing it wrong. With that being said I'm about 10 Fords Deep being a Ford EXP, Ford Probe, Five killer Mustangs and 3 Ford F150's. I owned two other name brand Trucks that really don't even count when I was very young. All in all the TRX is the better vehicle unless you are simply in the sand killing it. And let's be real..10% of us are...and it aint me. I considered the TRX when my Gen3 deal fell through from Ford...went 2020 Gen2. But that Truck with the mileage and looks threw me back to Ford. That Truck is ugly as sin, better or not. But that's just me.

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny that anyone cares. I do detest the name, eco-anything is fücktarded and woke. But I repeat myself. :) I love the engine and would take it any day over a V8. That people look down on it and would rather have a V8 with less torque and less horsepower and worse mileage just because it sounds cool I find hilarious. I've heard the TRX accelerate away from a stoplight. It did nothing for me. Zero. Nada. If I had my druthers, my truck would be quiet. The quieter the better. I've driven electric cars and one thing I loved was how quiet they were.

I care to the extent I come to a forum with grown men and a few TRX owners and read the word poop. FFS.

A88F3372-7C59-412D-9E12-17AEC8667C86.gif

I will agree however naming the engine eco anything is pitiful.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I care to the extent I come to a forum with grown men and a few TRX owners and read the word poop. FFS.

View attachment 369255

I will agree however naming the engine eco anything is pitiful.
I agree. What's funny is that anyone cares what motor is under the hood so long as it goes when you push on the skinny pedal. Now if we were talking about transmissions, that's a different matter. Manuals rule, slushboxes drool. They're for people who never learned to drive a real car. :)