Fluid Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtwinjunkie

Reaction score
better to dig up an old one than making a new duplicate one.
and yes, to completely fill is over 4 gallons
Sure but how much for a drain and fill service was my question above.

Well I answered it above. 2 gallons will do.

I feel that it is almost more important to mention the drain and fill because that is what 98% of the people are doing most often.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 gallons!? I am assuming you are talking about an entire engine overhaul to include all of the passages.

I just drained my truck at the radiator drain valve on the lower passenger side and also pulled off the lower radiator hose for good measure to get as much of the block as I could and it only dropped a bit over a gallon and a half maybe 1.75 tops.

You must mean quarts…which is odd because we don’t buy coolant in quarts.

Sorry to dig up an old post it came up during a google search when looking for how much coolant to buy for my drain and fill, and I am just a bit confused.

For a pan drop/filter change only, you're looking at needing up to 12 quarts. The five gallons is needed when performing a true proper machine flush with a shop's flush machine.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To properly flush the radiator coolant requires cycling the new fluid in as a process. Simply draining the radiator does not allow all the coolant to drain out of the engine, heater core, etc. The only way to do that correctly is to:

1. Drain the radiator and refill it with distilled water
2. Run the truck at normal operating temperature until the coolant from the engine cycles into the radiator; once done, drain the radiator again and refill with distilled water again.
3. Repeat the normal operating temp running until the coolant in the engine is cycled to the radiator again, drain and refill the radiator with distilled water again.
4. Run the engine again at normal operating temp until the coolant/water cycles to the radiator again. Drain that and refill the radiator with the new coolant.
5. Run the engine again at normal operating temp until the coolant/water cycles to the radiator again and drain out the radiator and refill again with coolant.

You should repeat that last step until you have used all the fluid. Flushing the coolant isn't a simple matter of drain and refill, it is a cycle that must be followed to remove all the old coolant from the engine.