Fluid Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently did a boat load of routine maintenance to my baby. Running both the pre-run and the SnoBall II put a lot of hard miles on my truck. Thanks to Chris and the team at Freedom Motorsports, I got hooked up with fluids for the Transmission, Transfer Case, Rear Diff and Front Diff, as well as a set of R1 Concepts front brake rotors and pads.

As more folks might be doing this work themselves, or sources the fluids and having a local shop, I thought it prudent to put all the volumes you'll need in one spot. BTW, this is the info gathered for my 2011 SCREW.

So, below is what I know. Don't take this as gospel, just some strange guy on the Internet who wasn't wearing any pants when he typed this.

Radiator Flush-3 gallons of 100% antifreeze. Assume 6 gallons 50/50

Power Steering-5-6 quarts

Rear Diff-Ford's Raptor Supplement states 3 quarts should suffice. Due to the time I spent draining the diff and scooping the old stuff out, I used more than 3 quarts. I'd say it was closer to 3.5.

Front Diff-Again, Ford's Raptor Supplement states 2 quarts should do it. I ran a little more than that to fill.

Transfer Case-2 quarts did it for me

Transmission Flush-My shop stated 18 quarts should suffice. They did the flush and I got between 1-2 quarts back. I bought 2-2.5 gallon jugs of AMSOIL ATF from Chris. I did the transfer case myself and then let the shop have the rest.

Brake Flush-I ordered 4 quarts of brake fluid. I haven't done the brakes or the flush yet, but due to past experience, I think this will be plenty.

So I hope this helps anyone who might be searching in preparation for some DIY fluid changes.

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

BTW, I did my brakes today and did the fluid flush. I let my Motive Products Power Bleeder push just air into the master cylinder to get as much old fluid out as safely possible before mixing in the new. I dumped two 12 ounce bottles in the bleeder and then used a third to top off the master cylinder.

So, in short, 3-4 12 ounce bottles should do it.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you clarify the radiator flush capacity? If added 6 gallons of 50/50 that would equal 24 qts while the total 6.2L capacity is only 19.5 qts.

Just want to double check I have enough to do a radiator flush this weekend.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 gallons of coolant is plenty to do the flush, having 6 gallons on hand will account for possible spillage, etc. That being said, I have built a new Gen 1 Raptor maintenance fluids and filters recommendations page on the new Freedom website for those that want to use AMSOIL fluids. I will be adding Redline and Royal Purple to the recommendations to the page soon for those that want those, possibly Mobile 1. Please note that the links on the recommendations page below lead to the AMSOIL website due to the AMSOIL internet marketing policy.

Maintenance Recommendations

Last edited:

vtwinjunkie

Reaction score
5 gallons of coolant is plenty to do the flush, having 6 gallons on hand will account for possible spillage, etc. That being said, I have built a new Gen 1 Raptor maintenance fluids and filters recommendations page on the new Freedom website for those that want to use AMSOIL fluids. I will be adding Redline and Royal Purple to the recommendations to the page soon for those that want those, possibly Mobile 1. Please note that the links on the recommendations page below lead to the AMSOIL website due to the AMSOIL internet marketing policy.

Maintenance Recommendations
5 gallons!? I am assuming you are talking about an entire engine overhaul to include all of the passages.

I just drained my truck at the radiator drain valve on the lower passenger side and also pulled off the lower radiator hose for good measure to get as much of the block as I could and it only dropped a bit over a gallon and a half maybe 1.75 tops.

You must mean quarts…which is odd because we don’t buy coolant in quarts.

Sorry to dig up an old post it came up during a google search when looking for how much coolant to buy for my drain and fill, and I am just a bit confused.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 gallons!? I am assuming you are talking about an entire engine overhaul to include all of the passages.

I just drained my truck at the radiator drain valve on the lower passenger side and also pulled off the lower radiator hose for good measure to get as much of the block as I could and it only dropped a bit over a gallon and a half maybe 1.75 tops.

You must mean quarts…which is odd because we don’t buy coolant in quarts.

Sorry to dig up an old post it came up during a google search when looking for how much coolant to buy for my drain and fill, and I am just a bit confused.
better to dig up an old one than making a new duplicate one.
and yes, to completely fill is over 4 gallons