First time buyer: Bedrug/mats + retractable cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnushouston

Reaction score
Hello to all: I am a first time buyer, and started the conversation with the dealer. Assuming we will be using the dream vehicle for outdoor sports and also travel among other things, thinking about having bed rug installed and on top of that install the mats. Is that an overkill? The vehicle has factory installed tough bed spray. Will be installing a retractable cover (pro XR). Any suggestions will help the novice buyer -:)

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really see any reason to do BedRug and a mat. I have a spray-in liner and used to have a rubber bed mat, but it wasn't comfortable for climbing around the bed, so I ditched it for the BedRug mat, not the whole BedRug setup.

Reaction score
A bedrug over a spray in liner doesn't really make any sense to me. I guess it depends on what you're planning to have in the bed of your truck. I have an aftermarket spray in liner, swingcase, and a Retrax cover on mine. Liner is tough enough for whatever I want to haul, swing case I keep my straps in, and the cover keeps it all dry and can lock itself in any postion on the rail.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a rubber mat over my spray in liner, keeps what i have in there from sliding all over the place. Not on bed rugs cause if the cover leaks thatll get wet, last retractable i had leaked like crazy

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the bed mat over my spray in liner as well. The liner is slippery, as others have said, stuff flys around.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a rubber mat over my spray in liner, keeps what i have in there from sliding all over the place. Not on bed rugs cause if the cover leaks thatll get wet, last retractable i had leaked like crazy
Bedrug is completely impervious to water. My problem with them is that they cheaped out and went to super low density foam that doesn't provide any padding to speak of. Like 90% air, 10% foam. And the carpet is now tissue thin. I wish I had gone with a rubber mat this time. Loved, loved, loved my old Bedrug. So much so that I never looked at any alternatives. That was foolish. If I can find a rubber mat that's die cut to fit the grooves in the bed, I'm going that way next time.