First time Raptor owner. Siiikkedd!! Pics inside + new video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. How often should the diff and transfer case fluids be changed?
150k miles is the maximum per the Owner’s Manual, but that’s under ideal conditions. 1/3 to 1/2 that that interval would be more appropriate for the majority of use cases.
2. (I KNOW, another oil question) Does Pure Synthetic oil delay or keep the Cam Phase issue at bay? I will be changing at 5k intervals or less. So far I am unable to discern why Ford would use a blend if it wasn't more than sufficient to handle the engine load. I've always used syntheics, so the whole blend concept for a turbo motor doesn't quite make sense to me. Any issues making a switch to a synth?
The Synthetic Blend is “recommended” because it’s the minimum. Just as you’ll sometimes see 87 octane is “recommended” even though the engine is designed for 93. Full synthetic engine oil is always best.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
^^ That's the plan :D

So a couple specific questions I was unable track down yet.

1. How often should the diff and transfer case fluids be changed?
2. (I KNOW, another oil question) Does Pure Synthetic oil delay or keep the Cam Phase issue at bay? I will be changing at 5k intervals or less. So far I am unable to discern why Ford would use a blend if it wasn't more than sufficient to handle the engine load. I've always used syntheics, so the whole blend concept for a turbo motor doesn't quite make sense to me. Any issues making a switch to a synth?

Sure I'll think of more later.

Thanks!

1. Change when dirty. 50k miles or sooner for sure.

2. I would say most of us run full synthetic oil. Weight is the issue for arguments around here. Everyone has their go to brand and weight. I am running Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30. Don't think it keeps the cam phaser issue as bay, but it's better for engine longevity over all.

OP
OP
S

shea-bird

Reaction score
I imagine
1. Change when dirty. 50k miles or sooner for sure.

2. I would say most of us run full synthetic oil. Weight is the issue for arguments around here. Everyone has their go to brand and weight. I am running Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30. Don't think it keeps the cam phaser issue as bay, but it's better for engine longevity over all.
I imagine much better for the turbo's too. I'm def going to switch. I'm a bit concerned about the cam phasers. truck has 52k and runs beautifully - OEM powertrain warranty to 60k or October 2024 I believe. I bought an aftermarket warranty knowing the potential expensive fixes that can occur with these trucks...that goes to 90k. It sounds like it WILL happen, only a matter of time.

Wonder if Ford will do it under OEM warranty on request..anyone with experience asking for it to be done proactively?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I imagine

I imagine much better for the turbo's too. I'm def going to switch. I'm a bit concerned about the cam phasers. truck has 52k and runs beautifully - OEM powertrain warranty to 60k or October 2024 I believe. I bought an aftermarket warranty knowing the potential expensive fixes that can occur with these trucks...that goes to 90k. It sounds like it WILL happen, only a matter of time.

Wonder if Ford will do it under OEM warranty on request..anyone with experience asking for it to be done proactively?

I have about 53k ish miles. Runs great. Toss up between my '16 6.7L for the best vehicle I have ever owned but also 2 different uses. Every vehicle has issues and problem areas.

You just need to have an internal conversation about what you are willing to accept with ANY purchase of an item. I am more forgiving on vehicles than other items. Cam phasers an issue? Sure. Fixable? Yes. Would I stay up late at night worrying about it? Not a chance in hεււ. Only @MurderedOutSVT dirty engine compartment keeps me up at night. Raptor is still a Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I imagine

No, it is a matter of whether recall 21B10 was performed. That is the update to prevent the issue from developing.
Warranty does not cover repairs based on speculation that something might fail at a later time.

OP
OP
S

shea-bird

Reaction score
No, it is a matter of whether recall 21B10 was performed. That is the update to prevent the issue from developing.

Warranty does not cover repairs based on speculation that something might fail at a later time.
Ok - There are no open recalls on the vehicle. That is software only update, correct? And if that is performed BEFORE the issue starts, it should prevent it completely (with-in reason)?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok - There are no open recalls on the vehicle. That is software only update, correct? And if that is performed BEFORE the issue starts, it should prevent it completely (with-in reason)?
The recall program expired 02/23, so it won’t show up as being open regardless of whether it was done. And yes, if it is performed before the issue occurs, it prevents additional wear.

OP
OP
S

shea-bird

Reaction score
First time doing raptor things

Thing didn't break a sweat. Baja mode. Also put it into crawl and did some slow stuff. Secret little area behind our campground at southern jersey shore point. Not a lot of real estate, but enough to have some fun with (relatively) low risk.