First generation Sync Sucks Balls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've been trying to play around with this damn sync system since I bought the truck and it freakin sucks!

Is there a way for me to turn off the stupid "911 assist" message?

Also, everytime I connect my phone via Bluetooth I have to always manually go to settings and change source from "Line in" to Bluetooth. Is there a way to make it stay in Bluetooth all the time?

I really do love my raptor, but I hate the stupid sync system. I really hate how everything is tied together electronically with sync as well so I cant even replace it with a better aftermarket system...

Help?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can replace it. You just need a steering wheel control adapter unit and whatever head unit to go with it. The little USB unit in the lower dash can be replaced with the one from your new unit if it has one. If you have the factory amp/sub you will have to get an adapter for that too.

Sync 1 is not tied into every vein of the truck like sync 2 is. It is very straight forward to put a full aftermarket system into a sync 1 truck.

I don't have the 911 message, I do have the irritation of having to change sources every time I get in.

@The Car Stereo Company can probably help you out.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been trying to play around with this damn sync system since I bought the truck and it freakin sucks!

Is there a way for me to turn off the stupid "911 assist" message?

Also, everytime I connect my phone via Bluetooth I have to always manually go to settings and change source from "Line in" to Bluetooth. Is there a way to make it stay in Bluetooth all the time?

I really do love my raptor, but I hate the stupid sync system. I really hate how everything is tied together electronically with sync as well so I cant even replace it with a better aftermarket system...

Help?
I don't have any of your problems, the sync works better in my raptor than the cheap shit in my newer jeep. Go through the menu's, I don't have 911 assist messages and bluetooth is automatic. Make sure you delete all the old crap in there from previous owners. Check the settings on your phone as well. To be clear you are talking about playing music off of your phone, not your talking feature? Mine auto plays spotify. I will admit the voice recognition is horrible and I never use that feature.

Steve Young

Reaction score
You may want to see if there is an update available for it. I know in the two Ford products I own both SYNC systems needed a software update. You will have to connect it to a WiFi (home WiFi or hot spot) to then force the unit to look for an update. Then you have to download it and install it. All of these steps require keystrokes (button push operations) as it's not automatic. It's not a fast or easy process, so set aside the time for it. I know for me, there were no new features seen but it did address bug fixes. Some included the back-up camera appears to be sharper on screen and it no longer stays on when the vehicle is put into drive, and the phone sync process appeared to work better. These were just a few items noticed. Not sure if this will address the items you mentioned but it can't hurt if an update is available.

Last edited:

Yamazuki

Reaction score
You may want to see if there is an update available for it. I know in the two Ford products I own both SYNC systems needed a software update. You will have to connect it to a WiFi (home WiFi or hot spot) to then force the unit to look for an update. Then you have to download it and install it. All of these steps require keystrokes (button push operations) as it's not automatic. It's not a fast or easy process, so set aside the time for it. I know for me, there were no new features seen but it did address bug fixes. Some included the back-up camera appears to be sharper on screen and it no longer stays on when the vehicle is put into drive, and the phone sync process appeared to work better. These were just a few items noticed. Not sure if this will address the items you mentioned but it can't hurt if an update is available.

I was able to update mine using a USB Flash drive.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can turn off the audio message in I think phone settings. It will still however flash up on the screen for a few seconds

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think a bunch of you have sync2 systems and are confusing them with the basic sync 1 unit. Sync 1 looks like this: FordF150bluetooth-thumb-717x537-82760.jpg

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a bunch of you have sync2 systems and are confusing them with the basic sync 1 unit. Sync 1 looks like this: FordF150bluetooth-thumb-717x537-82760.jpg
Negative. SYNC 1 has that that you displayed, and the SYNC “with my Ford touch” and are both running the same version of the software. Sync 2 was brought in for 2012 for touch screen models with the new UI.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Negative. SYNC 1 has that that you displayed, and the SYNC “with my Ford touch” and are both running the same version of the software. Sync 2 was brought in for 2012 for touch screen models with the new UI.

This is almost identical to what's in my Raptor, only difference is mine has orange trim. There ain't no other fanciness.