First desert run, G2 vs New G3 impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some proper pinstripes and was able to really push my G3. I was waiting until 1k mikes to really open it up. 57 mile run in Az (minus stops to shoot, and play, it took 1hr 15 mins). Really rough road and lots of following deep sand river beds. Baja mode most of the time, tried the new deep sand/snow mode a few times. A few thoughts vs my 2018 raptor:

This new suspension is really fantastic. It took some time to adjust, but it is so stable. Definitely harder to drift corners, but so much more control once you hit the corner hard. My 2018 always wanted to kick sideways on bumpy corners. Way more composed on that stuff.

Baja mode is more agressive in the G3. Holds at higher rpm longer. I was in the 40-60 mph range. It felt like Baja mode wanted me to lay into it more often with immediate power. Once I got used to the slightly higher RPM it was awesome.

Deep sand/snow mode didn’t do anything for me. I wasn’t in one spot long enough to care how deep the sand was. Try it again later.

Overall the G3 outperformed my G2 by a wide margin. That is saying a lot as I loved my G2.

I didn’t know what to expect as by looks it didn’t seem they changed much, but it is very different. IMO a definite upgrade.

FYI I’m on 35’s 801a package.
Overall MPG at 1500 miles is 15.5
57 mile desert run in Baja mode 11.4 MPG, and I’m a pretty heavy footed driver.

Attachments

• F56B9ABE-EC17-42C7-8AD4-D1B3F09BB20B.jpeg
    F56B9ABE-EC17-42C7-8AD4-D1B3F09BB20B.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 389

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine always looks Terrible but it is mostly the oils from the leaves stick to the truck then the dust sticks to the oil. it look like scratches but its not. Hopefully that’s the case…

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some proper pinstripes and was able to really push my G3. I was waiting until 1k mikes to really open it up. 57 mile run in Az (minus stops to shoot, and play, it took 1hr 15 mins). Really rough road and lots of following deep sand river beds. Baja mode most of the time, tried the new deep sand/snow mode a few times. A few thoughts vs my 2018 raptor:

This new suspension is really fantastic. It took some time to adjust, but it is so stable. Definitely harder to drift corners, but so much more control once you hit the corner hard. My 2018 always wanted to kick sideways on bumpy corners. Way more composed on that stuff.

Baja mode is more agressive in the G3. Holds at higher rpm longer. I was in the 40-60 mph range. It felt like Baja mode wanted me to lay into it more often with immediate power. Once I got used to the slightly higher RPM it was awesome.

Deep sand/snow mode didn’t do anything for me. I wasn’t in one spot long enough to care how deep the sand was. Try it again later.

Overall the G3 outperformed my G2 by a wide margin. That is saying a lot as I loved my G2.

I didn’t know what to expect as by looks it didn’t seem they changed much, but it is very different. IMO a definite upgrade.

Thanks for the real world info.

OP
OP
G

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always looks Terrible but it is mostly the oils from the leaves stick to the truck then the dust sticks to the oil. it look like scratches but its not. Hopefully that’s the case…
I think this is mostly the case. Just washed it and there wasn’t anything a little wax wouldn’t buff out

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent off-road review. Sounds like my wait for a 2022 will be worth it.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Where at here in AZ did you test your truck out? I’m a local