Pillar vs Bumper Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m a bit nervous about outward viability with XL80s though, do they block your view when driving?
Anything in your field of view blocks some visibility, but I’ve never actually been in a situation in which I had to see exactly where the lights were. They’re unobtrusive for as big as they are. Just don’t go nuts and mount LP6 or LP9’s up there.

Loved the S8 bar I had behind the grill on my Gen 2 but don’t love the behind the grill options for Gen 3, and am not sure if I want to go with a light bar or not.
Now that I have the LP9’s I’d probably not do it. BUT, it’s an inexpensive option for a LOT of light that pushes out a few hundred yards.
My fog lights are good enough for anything I encounter on actual roads, so these are for running trails at night, usually 20-60mph, CA/AZ desert typically.
I’d do either LP4’s or XL80s on the pillars, spot lenses only. I’d go for a bumper light bar and a pair of LP4’s to start, maybe a set of amber squadron pros to account for dust or fog. You’re not making time if you can’t see.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I knew the XLs were there, but I could still drive around without issues. I am thinking about putting LP4s on the a-pillar just to match the LP9s on the bumper. Either light option would be fine.

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had XL in combos on my a-pillar. Spot would be better on the a-pillar for sure. Less hood glare.

View attachment 444336

As Smurf asked, what is your use? Higher up spots will help give dimension to upcoming road hazards. A-pillar does give off more wind noise. So if mostly on road use than a light bar setup might be the way to go.

You can add a bar as smurf did to add lights to the front without replacing the bumper. So no limit to what you want to accomplish. This is my current set up until @Baja Designs comes out with the long awaited LP15s...

View attachment 444339
What’s it like having almost 70,000 lumens on your bumper?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
What’s it like having almost 70,000 lumens on your bumper?

Pretty nice. I have to hold back from turning them all on when I get flashed by other drivers when just using the factory headlights. I set up a spot on the switch pro to turn on all forward facing lights with one button. Race Mode.

20230303_133857.jpg

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty nice. I have to hold back from turning them all on when I get flashed by other drivers when just using the factory headlights. I set up a spot on the switch pro to turn on all forward facing lights with one button. Race Mode.

View attachment 444457
*oncoming car flashes brights*

Nex:

1707688379339.gif

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1707692135041.jpeg1707692144617.jpeg

Bumper SAE 2.0s for daily stuff, one pointed forward, other to side, great light output that doesnt blind like the sports did.
A pillar wide/spot combo for god of light. I think amber does well even in rainy/dusty situations so up high doesnt bother me for that.

I had some sport spots in the bumper and they really didnt do anything, but theyre small so dunno. My LP4s do block some angles when turning slow, but not a huge deal, not really any windnoise for some reason like i had on others. The raptor decals on the hood help a lot in absorbing the light fwiw.

Will say a setup on the front bumper like @smurfslayer and @Nex have looks more "baja", but i dont think there are many options for a bar setup that dont require drilling/cutting if thats not your fancy.

XL80s are a good choice and are a bit smaller than the lp4s and are simpler to install harness wise. Light output is still just as good

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 444465View attachment 444466

Bumper SAE 2.0s for daily stuff, one pointed forward, other to side, great light output that doesnt blind like the sports did.
A pillar wide/spot combo for god of light. I think amber does well even in rainy/dusty situations so up high doesnt bother me for that.

I had some sport spots in the bumper and they really didnt do anything, but theyre small so dunno. My LP4s do block some angles when turning slow, but not a huge deal, not really any windnoise for some reason like i had on others. The raptor decals on the hood help a lot in absorbing the light fwiw.

Will say a setup on the front bumper like @smurfslayer and @Nex have looks more "baja", but i dont think there are many options for a bar setup that dont require drilling/cutting if thats not your fancy.

XL80s are a good choice and are a bit smaller than the lp4s and are simpler to install harness wise. Light output is still just as good
As far as I know the Foutz bar is bolt on with no cutting or drilling.