Few things from a new owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell my kids this all the time. Say what you mean and mean what you say. His comment was “show me a truck owner who prefers a painted metal bed.”

It’s not a snarky response. It’s an answer to his question. And just a personal choice. There’s no right answer as to whether or not you should protect your bed. I’ve never put any sort of bed liner in any of my trucks. Don’t see a need for it. To protect the bed? From what? Scratches? Dents? Rust? Never had a problem with rust and I live in Florida. Scratches and dents are part of owning a truck. I’m not going to shows with it. Again just my personal opinion. You are entitled to yours as well. If it was so necessary then why wouldn’t every truck manufacturer include it from the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer a painted metal bed as well. I put a weather tech mat down to protect the floor but I personally like the look of the clean painted inner walls of the bed. That being said - I dont think a bed liner de-values a truck as long as it is done proper. I have seen some who lined over the top rails, some with over spray issues. The factory ones look good though.

OP
OP
Adam Miller

Adam Miller

Reaction score
Bare painted metal looks fine. But it doesn't look fine after you load up motorcycles and have coolers and camping gear sliding around.

Doesn't bother me if people want to debate the merits--argue all you want, but this isn't going to sway my decision. I need a liner for my usage, because I don't want to to get all rusty.

Now, I'm pretty new to this forum and nobody here knows me, but for a bit of background, this will shed a little light: I have a small collection of rare-ish older sportbikes. Mostly Ducatis and most I've bought relatively cheap and restored/resto-modded to exceptional condition. While they're all 20-30 years old, they look cherry. But in spite of storing them (and working on them) in my living room, they all get used, and that means Deal's Gap and race tracks like Road America, not (just) trips to Starbucks. I've got 26,000 miles on a bike that was 1 of 500. I take great care of them, but these (and the Raptor too) are just things. Beautiful and purpose-built, but things, just the same. They are not investments, they are meant to be enjoyed.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. You will like. I used to be a fan of CAI but since have went back to stock. I do have a Borla catback exhaust. No noticeable power improvements but it sounds bad ass... Enjoy the truck and that is good mileage for a 2010...

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not an upgrade, it's just a change in finish. Once on, it can hardly be removed. As a result, there would be fewer interested buyers for a truck that had it. Also, when it's in a bed, it sends up a potential red flag that it might be hiding something negative, ie rust, significant damage, etc.

Sent from my PC using Hit-a-Key

This has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on any forum in a LONG time. Especially from someone bragging about all their car selling knowledge. I want to meet the buyer who goes to look at a nice, cherry, used truck that they like, only to run from it because some crazy person ruined it with a spray in bed liner, while yelling, "Holy crap, you never told me it had a bed liner, what are they hiding!!!!!!". If you thought like this for 30 years, you were doing it wrong for 30 years.

Schizofilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on any forum in a LONG time. Especially from someone bragging about all their car selling knowledge. I want to meet the buyer who goes to look at a nice, cherry, used truck that they like, only to run from it because some crazy person ruined it with a spray in bed liner, while yelling, "Holy crap, you never told me it had a bed liner, what are they hiding!!!!!!". If you thought like this for 30 years, you were doing it wrong for 30 years.

LMMFAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Well, maybe he's the used car salesman equivalent of "the ****** with a heart." Doubt it though. 90% of people I know with a truck have a spray in bedliner. It's the ones with the fresh pop in liner you worry about.

OP
OP
Adam Miller

Adam Miller

Reaction score
It's the ones with the fresh pop in liner you worry about.

Yes. With a spray-in, you can't really "hide" anything. It's going to cover the metal, but any dents or larger scrapes/gouges are going to show right through. The whole reason I want to get the spray-in is to prevent gouges/scratches/rusting to the metal in the first place!