Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That new actuator (if the online pics are accurate) looks like a completely different spring than the fix in the video. Hmmmm...
Seems to me the new actuator and spring accounts for linear and rotational spring force. The TSB spring in the video was just linear.

Mine is still rattling after the TSB... not as bad but it does.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine "repaired" by my local dealer last week following the TSB instructions and unfortunately I picked the truck up warm and it appeared the issue was resolved. Fast-forward to the following morning with the truck cold and it sounds exactly the same as it did prior to the "fix". I'm pretty pissed off as I am going to have to bring the truck back again after being at the dealer for 9 days for this issue and a couple others. No idea what the real fix is going to be at this point. Maybe a new exhaust with this fix applied to it already??

4jo3

Reaction score
There’s a recall on the exhaust system for early 2021s. Which ford said they would have a fix Oct 22 but I just took my truck in for the front diff leaking and said Ford said they didn’t have a fix for it yet. One ford dealer told me it was the bed of the truck and it would need to be replaced on my dime.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s a recall on the exhaust system for early 2021s. Which ford said they would have a fix Oct 22 but I just took my truck in for the front diff leaking and said Ford said they didn’t have a fix for it yet. One ford dealer told me it was the bed of the truck and it would need to be replaced on my dime.
There is no recall; it’s not a safety issue. Ford released a Service Bulletin in December 2022 that applies to 2021-2022 models built June 6th 2022 and earlier.

Why would the bed of your truck need to be replaced?

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my exhaust rattle fixed at the end of March and noticed this morning it is back. Started my truck this morning and got out to move my trash can and noticed it. Before I noticed it more frequently on a remote start and this morning was not on a remote start. I had the exhaust in quiet mode when I noticed it.

ek5686

Reaction score
Man, with all the issues even after the TSB completed, I wonder if it is even worth taking my truck in for the fix. My truck definitely rattles, but usually goes away after about 30 seconds after cold start.

DCM

Reaction score
Has anyone's dealer been able to get the parts for this TSB repair recently? My dealer has had the valves on order for 10 weeks and told me this morning they they are still on backorder with no idea when they will arrive. Hopefully they will be an improved design when they finally show up.