Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the truck in at the dealer earlier this week. They heard the rattle and fixed it under the TSB. Still makes a little noise, but it’s a different noise now and it goes away pretty quick. Not nearly as annoying so I’m fine with it. Before getting it fixed a coworker asked me if it always sounded like that. You’d think ford would want their flagship f-150 to not give people who don’t own one the impression that they are janky or quality is lacking. The rattle or how uneven the exhaust tips are definitely doesn’t help them there.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P
Dude....what a crappy situation. I'd be head over heels frustrated. TBH I'd probably just move on to something else. Sell/trade. I've followed your posts for a while now since we had similar blend dates (Oct build thread). The 2023 I picked up (and sold to a friend) has had zero issues. You seem to have been bitten by the bad luck bug.
Parts finally came in so I'll be taking it in the second week of March (earliest they could get me back in).

Found out none of the lights work on my passenger mirror either haha

AMB_22_Raptor

Reaction score
I was at the dealership this morning with my 2022 that developed the rattle about 4 days after delivery. They diagnosed the problem as being related to the TSB mentioned here but my truck is 2 weeks built outside of the TSB window. They've submitted an inquiry to Ford and claim that only one other 2022 (I find this hard to believe) outside of the build range had the exhaust rattle and the replacement valves did NOT fix the problem.
Anyone with a later model 2022 or a 2023 with the exhaust rattle have any luck with the dealership performing the TSB with good results? I should hear something by next Thursday on Ford's plan to fix the problem.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried unplugging, it keeps the truck in quiet mode.
Is this accurate? I’ve had other vehicles where it depends on what mode the exhaust valves are in when you unplug them. For example in my M4, I just had to make sure the valves were open when I unplugged the sensor and it kept the valves open all the time.

I believe it would likely be the same for fords with active valve exhausts unless there’s something I’m missing.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this accurate? I’ve had other vehicles where it depends on what mode the exhaust valves are in when you unplug them. For example in my M4, I just had to make sure the valves were open when I unplugged the sensor and it kept the valves open all the time.

I believe it would likely be the same for fords with active valve exhausts unless there’s something I’m missing.
I unplugged mine when the truck was off, turned the truck on and it was dead silent. I stepped on the gas a few times, and it was definitely in quiet mode. However, since my original post- I have come across a video of someone that had the opposite of what I experienced when they unplugged theirs.