Exhaust Rattle - Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanthas

Reaction score
I know this is not perfect for advice, but I noticed when I had the TSB done the dealership updated the BCM as well as replaced the springs on the actuators, and the rattle went away and it seemed the truck would start up with the valves open (truck was louder on startup). I think the biggest thing they did to solve the issue was the BCM update, because when I tuned my truck, it was almost as if the BCM reverted and literally the same day I tuned it, I had that rattle come back. I ended up downloading and paying for FDRS this weekend and getting the appropriate cable to do all of this, and I saw I had a BCM update again. After the BCM update again, my actuators seemed to act the same way as after I had the TSB done. If you guys are able to, check to see if they update the BCM as well when they conduct the TSB. It can be annoying to do so as I think the tech's need to hook the truck up to a battery tender and it took about half an hour as well for the download and application.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rattle/clicking noise is back also. Started noticing it again lately with the cooler temps in the morning. I love this truck, but I have had a lot of nagging issues that dealers can't figure out for me. More annoying than anything.

aspenchournos

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Only when cold. Doesn't seem to be affecting performance but is really annoying when trying to enjoy the cold start sound

06F150

Reaction score
just purchased a 23 have 700 miles and have a horrible rattle. No idea if this is the cause but it seems to be what’s causing my cold start rattling. Sounds like a can of rocks in the exhaust pipe.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 13 months and 5 different visits to the local Ford dealership, I finally got my exhaust rattle fixed. I started out getting the actuators replaced, which reduced the noise on cold starts for a small period of time but eventually returned. Ford refused to help me, every now and again I'd get someone to verbally commit to helping me, but they'd always come back and suggest it's a normal operating sound. At one point they even provided some documentation from Ford.

The other day I went in for an oil change and noticed they had a new service manager, so I tried again. She came back and said it was normal and there was nothing they could do.. there I was again, going at it with the Ford service dept. I was about to give up, then I remembered this thread.

I referenced maxr's screen shot (post #63) and the service manager immediately changed her tone with me. She got on the phone, then came out and said there was a "hot case" and was able to order a new muffler and pipe assembly, under warranty. Low and behold it fixed the problem completely. Big shout out to @maxr ! Thank you, my friend!

Attachments

• 1712875450921.png
    1712875450921.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 21