Exhaust Rattle - Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford dealer is worthless.
After waiting 1 hour, they informed me they did not receive any instructions on how to perform the fix so all they did was try adjusting the existing valves and reset the PCM. No effect of the exhaust rattle but it did wipe out my Carplay connection so I had to delete my phone and re-add it as New.
They are waiting for a national bulletin to be issued to tell them what parts are permanent or temporary etc. Also they made mention of an updated TSB/fix? but I am dubious they know what is happening since I had to inform them of the TSB in the first place.

The next closest Ford Dealer is a 2 hour drive and I don't know enough about their service team to chance having this done there.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to check in with all of you whom have had the TSB fix performed on their rattling exhaust. Has this fix been permanent or have you heard a bit of rattle again? I haven't had a chance to bring in my truck and be without it for a few days but this rattle is getting out of hand and with the summer coming up I'd like to have my windows down again lol
I had mine "repaired" by my local dealer last week following the TSB instructions and unfortunately I picked the truck up warm and it appeared the issue was solved. Fast-forward to the following morning with the truck cold and it sounds exactly the same as it did prior to the "fix". I'm pretty pissed off as I am going to have to bring the truck back again after being at the dealer for 9 days for this issue and a couple others. No idea what the real fix is going to be at this point. Maybe a new exhaust with this fix applied to it already??

BIGMAN

Reaction score
I had mine "repaired" by my local dealer last week following the TSB instructions and unfortunately I picked the truck up warm and it appeared the issue was solved. Fast-forward to the following morning with the truck cold and it sounds exactly the same as it did prior to the "fix". I'm pretty pissed off as I am going to have to bring the truck back again after being at the dealer for 9 days for this issue and a couple others. No idea what the real fix is going to be at this point. Maybe a new exhaust with this fix applied to it already??
Same thing happened with mine. The TSB fix was unsuccessful. Took a look under the truck, there seemed to be small drops of water along the exhaust, perhaps an exhaust leak?

hpatel_05

Reaction score
Same thing happened with mine. The TSB fix was unsuccessful. Took a look under the truck, there seemed to be small drops of water along the exhaust, perhaps an exhaust leak?
So I have seen this as well on mine. I do have the exhaust sound but it’s more like higher pitch clatter. It goes away if switch to any mode of exhaust other than normal. Im thinking as week if it’s an exhaust leak.

gonzdan

Reaction score
I just had my new-to-me truck in and they totally replaced the valve and then performed the TSB on the new valve with different springs. They also found an exhaust leak and replaced the pipe as well. So far so good.

cmstric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my new-to-me truck in and they totally replaced the valve and then performed the TSB on the new valve with different springs. They also found an exhaust leak and replaced the pipe as well. So far so good.
how is it holding up? Did it come back?

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck going in tomorrow at Ford . they told me they want it for the day to do a more thorough check of the exhaust system. will also see if they can fix the rattling/loose wire right above my head near the speaker. truck sounds like a Yugo on start-up :(

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford dealer has decided they will replace the entire muffler assembly. they read that sometimes the tsb does not fix anything. parts suppose to be delivered in one week and once arrive will see how far out their techs are booked.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing that can contribute to this to keep an eye on. From the factory the exhaust tips on my truck were fairly uneven. One was about 1” further rearward. This was due to them being improperly assembled at the last slip joint. Because the one was 1” further rearward, the pin that hangs it near the rear bumper was tapping on the bumper, which isn’t exactly quiet when the exhaust vibrates.