Exhaust Rattle - Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FIXED! they replaced the muffler and tailpipe assembly.
Thanks for this picture. Gonna add it to the list of things to bring to my service guy when I go in for routine service.
Ford has released a new TSB for this concern; 23-2341. It applies to 2021-2023 Raptor. It includes a PCM update and replacement of the actuators or springs depending on build date.

Do you think the update can be over the air?

No, it requires hardware replacement.
This is wild, as I never had the exhaust rattle and then with the latest Ford PowerUp OTA update, I no longer start permanently in "quiet mode" and I can change (and hear the differences) in idle with Quiet, Normal, Sport, and Baja. Never had the ability to change prior to the update, regardless of what mode I was in. When I was at idle, it'd be in "quiet mode".

But now I have the rattle, go figure.
After 13 months and 5 different visits to the local Ford dealership, I finally got my exhaust rattle fixed. I started out getting the actuators replaced, which reduced the noise on cold starts for a small period of time but eventually returned. Ford refused to help me, every now and again I'd get someone to verbally commit to helping me, but they'd always come back and suggest it's a normal operating sound. At one point they even provided some documentation from Ford.

The other day I went in for an oil change and noticed they had a new service manager, so I tried again. She came back and said it was normal and there was nothing they could do.. there I was again, going at it with the Ford service dept. I was about to give up, then I remembered this thread.

I referenced maxr's screen shot (post #63) and the service manager immediately changed her tone with me. She got on the phone, then came out and said there was a "hot case" and was able to order a new muffler and pipe assembly, under warranty. Low and behold it fixed the problem completely. Big shout out to @maxr ! Thank you, my friend!