Exhaust coating or paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atayl5513

Reaction score
Exhaust tips color (black) is fading. Anybody have recommendations on products they have used to coat them matte black?

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Krylon Semi-gloss Black for years on exhaust pipes, mufflers and other stuff I didn’t want to be shiny under the truck. It holds up really well.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do mine. Probably doing either bbq paint or chassis black from Eastwood.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rust-Oleum High Heat Flat Black, part number 248903.
Holds up well, but after several years I need to do it again before winter.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys do any prep besides wash the dirt off?

Morgan

Reaction score
I've always been told that good prep work is the difference between a good and bad finish. Scotch-brite pads to scuff and alcohol to clean afterward is probably the route I'd take.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've always been told that good prep work is the difference between a good and bad finish. Scotch-brite pads to scuff and alcohol to clean afterward is probably the route I'd take.
I start with a chemical that will dissolve petrochemical road gunk - paint thinner or lacquer thinner. THEN the Scotch-brite or fine steel wool. Finish with denatured alcohol to remove chemical residue and dust from the abrasive.
If you use a high-temp paint that requires curing, follow the instructions or the finish will not last as long.

Morgan

Reaction score
I start with a chemical that will dissolve petrochemical road gunk - paint thinner or lacquer thinner. THEN the Scotch-brite or fine steel wool. Finish with denatured alcohol to remove chemical residue and dust from the abrasive.
If you use a high-temp paint that requires curing, follow the instructions or the finish will not last as long.

^^^ Great call to use paint thinner first.