Engine oil alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor92

Reaction score
Hey everyone
Recently the following alert popped up onto my instrument cluster: "change engine oil required "

The last dealer performed engine oil was done on February 2019. (Synthetic blend)
The truck was driven less than 1000 miles during the 6 month period.

Checked the dipstick, oil is full and looks perfect.

Do I need to do the oil change per truck's request or just reset the engine oil life monitor?

Thanks

ArmyTanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you just had it changed, the dealer likely did not reset the oil life monitor. As you checked the level and that is correct, if it were mine, I would reset oil life monitor and drive on. My 2 cents

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, they probably forgot the reset. just reset it and make sure you abide by the warranty limits; I think they say at least 1x / year and/or 10k miles. You’re not in jeopardy from the latter, obviously.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised because I did the oil monitor reset back then myself.
So you're saying that you reset the oil monitor back in Feb? And it's gone off again? That's strange! I don't have the answer, just trying to help understand the problem

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one go off 3k/4 months after an oil change in my 2015. I know the sensor was reset so I just checked and the oil was clean and full. I just reset it and continued with my normal change intervals. I think the intelligent sensor errors on the side of caution so I don’t think it is full proof.

I know from driving work vehicles that were Fords that if you really need an oil change and you just reset it without changing, it will trip again within a day or so. Work trucks were managed through Donlen and we changed every 10k and not any sooner.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to reset? Can a backyard mechanic do it?
Bought mine in Jan. and owner had just had it changed at dealer with syn.
...I've put a little over 3K on it and since its one of the few things I'll be able to do (might tackle plugs also) would like to know it its a major pain or you need special equipment to reset..
Thanks