GEN 2 Electrical Fire!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tabshim

Reaction score
First of all I’d like to thank you for sharing this rather horrible experience you had to go through.
Indeed, looking at the bright side it’s great you’ve caught it early and prevented a larger disaster.
I’m certain that we are all feeling the pain you’re going through, though eager to know the real cause for it!
Appreciate if you’d give us feedback on the investigation, root cause(s) so we all learn. sorry again.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad everyone is okay. There was a recall for something regarding a fire hazard above the battery. You may want to look into it.
“Ford is warning that a number of 2020
F-150 pickups could catch fire because of a battery connection issue.”
This was only F-150s that were built in Kansas City. Ford recall #20S40
No Raptors.

OP
OP
D

DevonDragon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes! I've never seen any sign of rodents in the truck, but always a possibility. Recall 19S40 (impacts 2019s from Dearborn (mine) and KC) could be the culprit, although my dealership supposedly checked it out. So far Progressive has been pretty helpful and towed the truck off. They think it will be totaled but haven't made a firm determination yet. Ford, on the other hand, has done nothing for four days, and then today had a lawyer send me a form and ask for a bunch of documents. So that feels pretty crappy. I've expressed my displeasure and we'll see if anything changes. I'm not one to make a stink but my SO is livid and is itching to get the local TV stations consumer investigations team involved. So we'll see.

There's no Raptors available here either. And I'm pretty pissed at Ford atm. Maybe a TRX? *sigh*

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes! I've never seen any sign of rodents in the truck, but always a possibility. Recall 19S40 (impacts 2019s from Dearborn (mine) and KC) could be the culprit, although my dealership supposedly checked it out. So far Progressive has been pretty helpful and towed the truck off. They think it will be totaled but haven't made a firm determination yet. Ford, on the other hand, has done nothing for four days, and then today had a lawyer send me a form and ask for a bunch of documents. So that feels pretty crappy. I've expressed my displeasure and we'll see if anything changes. I'm not one to make a stink but my SO is livid and is itching to get the local TV stations consumer investigations team involved. So we'll see.

There's no Raptors available here either. And I'm pretty pissed at Ford atm. Maybe a TRX? *sigh*

No offense intended, but what do you expect Ford to do? I mean if the truck was stock then of course I'd understand, but you had 2 pretty big aftermarket electronic accessories. The burden of proof isn't on Ford and getting to root cause isn't free.

OP
OP
D

DevonDragon

Reaction score
I guess I'd expect them to be interested in why it caught fire? Professionally installed accessories shouldn't cause fires especially then the truck is off and has been sitting for 2.5 days IMHO. Especially given that recall 19S40, which can cause fires and applies to my VIN, could easily be the cause.

I'm not expecting them to write giant checks or anything, but a quick phone call being like "Super sorry that happened to you! We're taking this seriously and want to be sure it wasn't our fault" costs them nothing. Arranging for a loaner for a week would cost them very little and generate a lot of good will.

No offense intended, but what do you expect Ford to do? I mean if the truck was stock then of course I'd understand, but you had 2 pretty big aftermarket electronic accessories. The burden of proof isn't on Ford and getting to root cause isn't free.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Glad things are moving forward for you, this is what insurance is for, if your insurance says they won't cover it, then, yeah, be pissed at Ford, but it's a bit premature at the moment to blame Ford. I know you're without your truck and anxiety is probably through the roof for you, but wait and see what happens, hopefully you can put the insurance money towards a gen 3 or another Raptor close by. Good luck !

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Exactly. 99% chance the fire was the result of the aftermarket modifications installed. The fact that fuses were used is irrelevant; fuses don’t protect against heat buildup from high resistance.

Recall 19S40 is pretty straightforward; all they had to do was check for excess heat shrink adhesive on the battery terminal eyelet and remove as necessary. So unless they simply didn’t do the recall and pencil whipped it, that’s not applicable. If they did fail to do the recall properly, they are in violation of federal law you would need to go after the dealer.

OP
OP
D

DevonDragon

Reaction score
Glad things are moving forward for you, this is what insurance is for, if your insurance says they won't cover it, then, yeah, be pissed at Ford, but it's a bit premature at the moment to blame Ford. I know you're without your truck and anxiety is probably through the roof for you, but wait and see what happens, hopefully you can put the insurance money towards a gen 3 or another Raptor close by. Good luck !

Yeah I'm not blaming Ford (although that recall is stuck in my head). But their complete lack of interest is frustrating. I had an issue with one of my non-Ford car's proximity sensors. Nothing serious, but the response from the dealership and the parent car company was amazing. Given that they know they have/had a fire causing issue on my VIN, I'd expect some level of "just in case this was on us, let's make an effort". *shrug*.