Drive Shaft Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I might be having an off day, but I used the search button and can't find the thread now...

There was a thread about 2011 Raptors having some kind of faulty drive shaft...

My 2011 SCREW was built March 2011, purchased April 2011... looking on the drive shaft, it has a couple white stickers that have numbers ending in "BB".

Is my drive shaft good to go, or is this a recall issue?

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I think BC is the newer "good" driveshaft, can't remember. The new driveshaft part # is BL3Z-4602-J for a super crew and BL3Z-4602-H for a super cab.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I might be having an off day, but I used the search button and can't find the thread now...

There was a thread about 2011 Raptors having some kind of faulty drive shaft...

My 2011 SCREW was built March 2011, purchased April 2011... looking on the drive shaft, it has a couple white stickers that have numbers ending in "BB".

Is my drive shaft good to go, or is this a recall issue?

My SCrew is first week March built. Got the letter awhile back. Didn't think the BB was a problem but my service advisor ordered a BC when the Raptor was in for oil & filter. The BC went on this morning and a it's much quiter.

DB06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive shafts that are bad end in AB or BB.

Drive shafts that are good end in AC or BC.

However, you should have received the customer satisfaction program annoucement 11B25 if your truck is covered. At least tell your dealer to refer to that program number if you get the run around.

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced last week. SuperCab, early January 2011 build with the "AB" shaft. The new "AC" shaft makes a big difference.

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my Raptor to the local dealer last night... told them I had a build date of 3/11 and have the BB code drive shaft. I gave them the 11B25 Program Announcement code and they called back today to tell me there is no recall on my drive shaft and it didn't need to be replaced?

He took my VIN# too.

Maybe Ford is "staggering" the recall notices so every Raptor owner doesn't show up at the same time?

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the Ford place I bought the truck from, they looked up the VIN on the "Oasis System" which is part of their TSB network.

They said that with my truck being built 3-17-11, it was trucks before 3-12-11 that had issues... even though I've got a "BB" code driveshaft, it does not need to be replaced with a "BC" code.

When they replace a part he said, they don't use the same part# system... hence the AC or BC notation so they can tell if the affected truck had the correct replacement part or not.

But according to two Ford service departments, My VIN# is good to go.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my Raptor to the local dealer last night... told them I had a build date of 3/11 and have the BB code drive shaft. I gave them the 11B25 Program Announcement code and they called back today to tell me there is no recall on my drive shaft and it didn't need to be replaced?

He took my VIN# too.

Maybe Ford is "staggering" the recall notices so every Raptor owner doesn't show up at the same time?

From the letter: What is the issue? On you vehicle, the rear driveshaft yoke may momentarily bind on the transfer case output shaft. When torque is applied while accelerating from a stop or decelerating, the vehicle may exhibit a clunk/bump or chirp noise.

What will Ford and your dealer do? In the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to inspect the driveshaft and if necessary, replace it free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program.

This Customer Satisfaction Program will be in effect until June 14, 2012 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

Can we assist you further? If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership's Service Manager for assistance.

RETAIL OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representative will be happy to assist you. ...

If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is:

Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site | Personalized Owner Information

I think the initial end date for the vehicle covered by this program is March 12, 2011. That might be somewhat flexible. My SCrew had a bass resonance under light acceleration; thought it was the resonator at the time.

DB06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the Ford place I bought the truck from, they looked up the VIN on the "Oasis System" which is part of their TSB network.

They said that with my truck being built 3-17-11, it was trucks before 3-12-11 that had issues... even though I've got a "BB" code driveshaft, it does not need to be replaced with a "BC" code.

When they replace a part he said, they don't use the same part# system... hence the AC or BC notation so they can tell if the affected truck had the correct replacement part or not.

But according to two Ford service departments, My VIN# is good to go.

Your info seems consistent with that of other raptor owners I have read ref the drive shaft replacement. MFG date determines if you are covered by the 11B25 program. However, I have also heard of some dealers flexing a bit on the MFG date, if the truck is exhibiting the clunk issue.

Would say if you are not having issues, let it roll.