Downshift lowest available gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingshado

Reaction score
Why does this thing not downshift to lowest available gear?
Full throttle at 60, only downshifts to 5th. No difference in sport mode.
It’s got a little rpm left in 3rd and lots in 4th till red line.
Ford programming nonsense?

2019 screw

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

2019 screw
Is there a point of rpm going OVER peak HP??

The answer is NO.

If the RPM would go past peak, and as such means you are on the down slope then why would you want that. According to the charts I see HP peaks at about 5300 RPM. So while the engine may Rev higher, there is zero point in doing so.

I guess someone might fight me on it at lower speeds and lower gears say 1-3rd. But after that, no real reason to REV past peak HP

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kingshado

Reaction score
Following up on this, stock shift points are around 5800. So it again dosent make sense skipping 3rd and definitely not 4th gear on downshift. If Ford felt it was out of range why would the shift points be at 5800. Is this also what everyone else’s stock is doing? I just want to see if this is normal behavior cause u imagine it’s slowing it down.

Thanks

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

2019 screw
I don't understand the question. If you're in manual mode and it won't downshift, it's to protect the engine.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Following up on this, stock shift points are around 5800. So it again dosent make sense skipping 3rd and definitely not 4th gear on downshift. If Ford felt it was out of range why would the shift points be at 5800. Is this also what everyone else’s stock is doing? I just want to see if this is normal behavior cause u imagine it’s slowing it down.

Thanks
Up shifts and down shifts are completely different.

OP
OP
K

kingshado

Reaction score
Up shifts and down shifts are completely different.
Yes auto up shift is at 5800
Down shift anything have ever driven is to lowest available gear below upshift point.

Am I just wording this all confusing ?

I would assume ppl would wonder why they leaving gears out.
0-60 is what 1st 2nd and 3rd
But 60 full throttle downshift is 5th and no one wonders what happened to 3rd and 4th or why they now have a 10 speed acting like an 8 speed with inconsistent gear spacing?

That’s what I’m wondering

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok i think i understand what your trying to say.

There are a few key factors to consider:

Peak Power: To achieve faster acceleration, torque is more important than horsepower. The peak torque is typically reached around 3,000 RPM, and a happy medium for acceleration is usually in the mid-4,000 RPM range for both HP and toque. Although the redline or shift point is close to 6,000 RPM, it doesn't necessarily correspond to the most usable power.

Cruising at Speed and requesting sudden acceleration: When cruising at a constant speed, let's say 60 mph, and the truck downshifts to around 4,000 RPM, it provides instant torque to build RPM and speed, enabling a smooth transition to the next gear. If the downshift occurred at 5.6k RPM, there would be limited usable RPM before the next shift, resulting in a loss of acceleration and slower performance.

Acceleration from 0-60: During a 0-60 mph acceleration, the entire RPM band is utilized to build wheel speed through each gear. The strategy remains the same, spinning just past the peak power RPM, so that when the next gear engages to provide more wheel speed, the vehicle remains within the power curve.

For example, Gear 1 reaches 6,000 RPM, Gear 2 drops to 4,000 RPM to build wheel speed until it reaches 6,000 RPM, then drops to Gear 3 at 4,000 RPM to continue building speed, and so on.

The goal is to optimize acceleration by leveraging torque and staying within the power curve of the engine throughout each gear shift. This strategy ensures efficient use of the RPM band and maximizes acceleration performance.

I hope this answered your question.

ReallyNice

Reaction score
Yes auto up shift is at 5800
Down shift anything have ever driven is to lowest available gear below upshift point.

Am I just wording this all confusing ?

I would assume ppl would wonder why they leaving gears out.
0-60 is what 1st 2nd and 3rd
But 60 full throttle downshift is 5th and no one wonders what happened to 3rd and 4th or why they now have a 10 speed acting like an 8 speed with inconsistent gear spacing?

That’s what I’m wondering
I follow what you’re saying and have noticed this lately. Example going 45 mph in 7th gear, floor it and it downshifts to 5th. It should downshift to a lower gear. Hopefully a TCM tune will remedy this.