Don't Know How-to Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen this happen a few times. Do NOT hook the safety chains up to the tow hooks on the bumper. Every time I let one of my friends hitch me up I go back and check, and for some reason their first instinct is to hook the safety chains to the tow hooks.

The safety chains should go to the loops under the hitch.

If you hook them to the tow hooks and make a sharp turn, odds are something is getting broken (unless you have really long chains).
guilty.

but my chains are too long so i have to wrap them a couple times around the tow hook. if i went to the holes under the hitch, the chain would be too long and also the hook doesnt fit.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guilty.

but my chains are too long so i have to wrap them a couple times around the tow hook. if i went to the holes under the hitch, the chain would be too long and also the hook doesnt fit.

Yeah that works too. I guess the moral of the story is just make sure your chains are long enough for wherever you're hooking them to when fully turned. When in doubt closer to the middle is better.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't wrap the chains around the ball or hook. The proper way is to twist the chains until they are the proper length, then cross them under the trailer tongue, so that if the trailer comes off, the tongue will be cradled. Some states will actually inspect and give you a citizenship award, with a cash withdrawal prize if they catch your trailer improperly connected.

If you are new to towing, backing is counterintuitive. Instead of turning the wheel the direction you want to turn, you turn the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction that you want to turn. It will take some practice, but it is a valuable skill.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So all you have to do is plug the fuses in? I wonder why Ford didn't do this from the factory. I need to find those fuses and plug them in.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-haul sells the ball mounts. They are manufactured by Curt and are of very good qaulity.
Just make sure you get the correct drop. 2 1/4" drop is not enough drop for a 5x8 enclosed U-haul trailer being towed by a Raptor.
I have my own enclosed trailer now, but I would often rent a U-haul enclosed trailer and I always had to use my 5 1/4" drop ball mount for them.

WHY?
Becuase it is important that the trailer is level. A trailer that is nose high has the propensity to induce sway (NO JOY RIDE).

Make sure the Raptor anti-sway control is on when you hook up. I believe it comes on by default as soon as a trailer is hooked up to the Raptor.

FYI
I drove 1300 miles straight thru once. Never again.
Get a cheap motel and get some sleep.
Enjoy the trip.

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that fuse is only if you need to run auxillary power inside the trailer.

If you have outlets, or additional internal lighting.

to just tow a small box trailer you dont need the fuse.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's (aux) also often used to charge the break away controller battery on trailers with electric breaks. You only need to add the fuse if you use the 7 pin hookup and only then if you have lights or electric break away controller.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your safety chains are too long, just twist them a few times and they will shorten and ALWAYS cross your chains.. Right to left then left to right

Iron Creek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go to the Uhaul place you'll be renting the trailer from and bring your truck. Do it way before you'll actually rent it. Talk with them about what size trailer you need and let them walk you around what you'll need to safely get the move done. Unless they are complete ******** it's in their best interest as well as corporate policy to help first time movers out. You should also be able to get everything you'll need there as well from hitch to boxes and moving blankets.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
U-haul sells the ball mounts. They are manufactured by Curt and are of very good qaulity.
Just make sure you get the correct drop. 2 1/4" drop is not enough drop for a 5x8 enclosed U-haul trailer being towed by a Raptor.
I have my own enclosed trailer now, but I would often rent a U-haul enclosed trailer and I always had to use my 5 1/4" drop ball mount for them.

WHY?
Becuase it is important that the trailer is level. A trailer that is nose high has the propensity to induce sway (NO JOY RIDE).

Make sure the Raptor anti-sway control is on when you hook up. I believe it comes on by default as soon as a trailer is hooked up to the Raptor.

FYI
I drove 1300 miles straight thru once. Never again.
Get a cheap motel and get some sleep.
Enjoy the trip.

Another reason to tow level is they have Torsion axles, if I'm not mistaken. Torsion axles are not self-leveling and need to be towed level or you run the risk of overloading an axle and causing rapid wear that can lead to axle failure. Definitely not something you want to have happen.