Don't Know How-to Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just hoping someone could give me consolidated advice on Towing w/ the Raptor. So to be specific and to the point, I am making a ~1500 mile (and back) trip from my Base in MD to my home in TX and this is honest to God my first time hooking up and wiring (?) a trailer. I've driven a few times w/ a trailer already hooked up with friends' trucks but this is my first time hooking up a trailer myself so I'd like to get the skinny on this.

From what I've gathered to tow a U-Haul 5x8 Enclosed Cargo Trailer, I THINK I'll need:

-(1) 2-1/4" drop, 7-1/2" length Ball Mount
-(1) 2" Hitch Ball, 2-3/16" Shank Length
-(1) Class III Pin & Clip
-Some sort of wiring for Trailer DRL/Brake Lights

So yeah, I definitely need some advice on this. I have read up on how to attach and detach a trailer using a standard coupler and a latch type too but now I am unsure how to "Wire" the truck to the trailer.

If any of ya'll can please help me out I'd really appreciate it. I am going on Leave in 3-weeks and need to move stuff out of my barracks/housing in preparation for a big move next year so help a Navy-brother out haha.

Thanks,

Tommy

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first off, you will need the extra fuse and relay in you glovebox (or somewhere in the front) inserted in the proper locations. you seem to have what you need already, but i would double check the height. the trailer should already have a wiring harness and since its a small trailer, you will most likely use the small 4 pin plug. thr large plug is for trailers with brakes.

OP
OP
New Guy

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa ok, so that's what I'm talking about.

Noah, what do you mean by "you will need the extra fuse and relay in you glovebox (or somewhere in the front) inserted in the proper locations" ? I don't do wiring because I have a feeling I'll break some plastic panel and/or f- some wires up.

Could you or someone please give me more details on this.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring should be as simple as plugging something into an outlet.

The trailer (if from uhaul, and really, any trailer you might buy or rent) will already be wired up with one of two standard trailer connections. A 4 pin flat plug or a seven pin round plug.

Next to the hitch on your truck on the drivers side there are two plastic flip covers protecting the trailer hook ups. Flip the cover up on the matching socket and stick it in. The plugs are designed in a way so they can only be connected in a single orientation.
Check the running lights, brakes, turn signals, and hazards to ensure everything is working correctly (helps to have a second person).

That's about it. Not too bad. As for the hitch, the biggest concern is the ball. Too big and it won't go on. Too small and you risk the trailer coming unhooked. Just call uhaul and ask which size ball you need. (Probably a 2" like you figured, but good to verify).

Also good to ask if the trailer has electric brakes or not. If it does and your truck has the brake controller option (squeeze bars to the left of the radio) you'll be able to set the gain on the trailer page of your 4" display. The squeeze bars allow you to manually apply trailer brakes, otherwise they will brake when you apply the truck brakes.

If you don't have that option the trailer brakes (if it has them) will still work when you brake, but you won't have the ability to fine tune how much braking they apply.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
U-Haul trailers have brakes, they are just surge brakes. Surge brakes work by when the truck hits the brakes, the trailer "surges" into the truck and a master cylinder on the trailer engages the brakes on the trailer. The fancy trailer brake controller we have in our trucks won't do you any good, but the trailer brakes will still be nice.

And yes, you'll use the small 4 pin plug IIRC when I towed a U-Haul trailer last year. The U-Haul guys will hook everything up for you and make sure your brake lights, blinkers, and hazards all work before you leave their facility.

Here is the hitch and pin I got. Works like a champ. I will say that I removed the ball and put Blue-Goop on the threads so it doesn't rust together and get nasty.

This is a 3.25" drop. It works great with my 37's now. I used this on the stock tires and it was great also, though.
Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 7005200 Class III Towing Security Kit: Automotive

This is the 2" drop of the same kit, though:
Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 7005100 Class III Towing Security Kit: Automotive

Come to think of it, I ordered the 3.25" drop but think I may have received the 2" drop. I'm not sure - I'd have to measure it. Either one should work just fine for you, honestly.

Battlefront

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck, when new came with 2 or 3 bags of electrical parts/ fuses. I don't remember exactly. Mine were in the glove box when I purchased my truck. I'm pretty sure this is what Noah was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa ok, so that's what I'm talking about.

Noah, what do you mean by "you will need the extra fuse and relay in you glovebox (or somewhere in the front) inserted in the proper locations" ? I don't do wiring because I have a feeling I'll break some plastic panel and/or f- some wires up.

Could you or someone please give me more details on this.

The fuse and relay he's talking about will be in a little plastic bag either in one of your door pockets, in the glove box, or the center console.

Once you have those, look in your manual for where to install them. I believe they go under the hood in the main fuse box (don't quote me on that. Mine came pre installed from the dealer so I never had to look it up. If you can't find the bag, yours might have as well.

Plugging the fuse and relay in is pretty simple. They can only go in one way, so not much to screw up.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, thats what im referring to. my first truck, i had to tow very soon after taking delivery. i spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why my trailer lightes werent working even though it was plugged in. the fuse and relay are usually not installed even though you get the tow package. you have to do it yourself. its either in the front doors, center console or glove box when you first pick up your truck

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this happen a few times. Do NOT hook the safety chains up to the tow hooks on the bumper. Every time I let one of my friends hitch me up I go back and check, and for some reason their first instinct is to hook the safety chains to the tow hooks.

The safety chains should go to the loops under the hitch.

If you hook them to the tow hooks and make a sharp turn, odds are something is getting broken (unless you have really long chains).