Don't hate me for asking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had both, a 21 TRX and a 19 Gen two Raptor. We took the TRX to Satera Tuning in hampshire, IL. for a pulley, tune, trans tune, ID 1050 injectors, thermostat and catch can. The truck made 739 wheel horsepower! (removed the front driveshaft for dyno)

It was a blast to drive and was quick considering it was 6,500 plus pounds. I loved the exhaust note and the supercharger whine, it was intoxicating! The interior/tech was cool with all the modes and custom settings. However, the truck just felt big and nose heavy, like a 3/4 ton.
After about 8 months being tuned, I decided to sell because I wasn’t sure how the powertrain would hold up since I voided that part of the warranty. The Ram dealers around me are sticklers for any type of modifications. I went to one dealer for an oil change and the parts guy wanted to know “who makes the TRX?!!” I just turned around and walked out. Just not a good experience…

I still have the Gen two (stage 2 Goosetune) and just enjoy driving it more. It’s lighter and just feels more sporty. It has the Recaro seats, which to me, are more comfortable and hold hugs the body better.
My plan is to keep this until prices come down on the Raptor R. I know it might be a year or so, but I refuse to pay a crazy markup! View attachment 420470View attachment 420471
Is that a Rebel in your picture? Can’t tell :)

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both, a 21 TRX and a 19 Gen two Raptor. We took the TRX to Satera Tuning in hampshire, IL. for a pulley, tune, trans tune, ID 1050 injectors, thermostat and catch can. The truck made 739 wheel horsepower! (removed the front driveshaft for dyno)

It was a blast to drive and was quick considering it was 6,500 plus pounds. I loved the exhaust note and the supercharger whine, it was intoxicating! The interior/tech was cool with all the modes and custom settings. However, the truck just felt big and nose heavy, like a 3/4 ton.
After about 8 months being tuned, I decided to sell because I wasn’t sure how the powertrain would hold up since I voided that part of the warranty. The Ram dealers around me are sticklers for any type of modifications. I went to one dealer for an oil change and the parts guy wanted to know “who makes the TRX?!!” I just turned around and walked out. Just not a good experience…

I still have the Gen two (stage 2 Goosetune) and just enjoy driving it more. It’s lighter and just feels more sporty. It has the Recaro seats, which to me, are more comfortable and hold hugs the body better.
My plan is to keep this until prices come down on the Raptor R. I know it might be a year or so, but I refuse to pay a crazy markup! View attachment 420470View attachment 420471

Yup. I’ve purchased 11 vehicles from my current ford dealer, and with the same sales guy…..and the +20k adm markup on the R he offered me just rubbed wrong. They have an opportunity to not be lumped in with “used car dealers”…..and so far cannot resist the cash. (Much) closer to msrp and I’m game. The limited production numbers are game enough and the reference to Rolex ad’s is spot on.

oliver1539

Reaction score
Yup. I’ve purchased 11 vehicles from my current ford dealer, and with the same sales guy…..and the +20k adm markup on the R he offered me just rubbed wrong. They have an opportunity to not be lumped in with “used car dealers”…..and so far cannot resist the cash. (Much) closer to msrp and I’m game. The limited production numbers are game enough and the reference to Rolex ad’s is spot on.
Yep! I’ll wait it out and see what the market does. The only reason I bought the TRX was because of the Hellcat and the market was plentiful at the time.
So much for dealers appreciating their loyal customers!

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience. My main sales guy text me yesterday to buy a used R with 1,100 miles. Listed for $160k but he could get the deal done for me at $150k. Yeah ok fella I’ll be right up

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! I’ll wait it out and see what the market does. The only reason I bought the TRX was because of the Hellcat and the market was plentiful at the time.
So much for dealers appreciating their loyal customers!
I ordered/bought a TRX bc they were $10,000 under msrp, why not! But at the end of the day I’m apparently more of a Raptor guy.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know what the MSRP would have been, but obviously it would be higher. I do think that Ford would have no problem selling every single hypothetical V8 Raptor they could produce.
We know what the MSRP is because it already exists. $109,245 before options. Ford is already selling every one they can build along with every non-R they build. Why would they discontinued a profitable model that is chosen by the vast majority of buyers? Makes no sense.
99% of Raptor and TRX buyers are buying these trucks because we want them. You’re right that we don’t “need” them. Where is the fun in buying only what you need? If that were the case, we’d be living in a studio apartment and driving a Kia that cost $10k.

I think the fact that the 5.2 is hand built is what makes it nearly impossible to match Hellcat production though, so it’s a moot point trying to arm chair QB what Ford should have done with it.
Agreed, we buy these types of vehicles because we want them. But that doesn’t mean we all want to spend $110k+ options/ADM for 700HP when a standard Raptor can do everything an R will do aside from straight line acceleration for over $30,000 less.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, we buy these types of vehicles because we want them. But that doesn’t mean we all want to spend $110k+ options/ADM for 700HP when a standard Raptor can do everything an R will do aside from straight line acceleration for over $30,000 less.
I don’t regret spending the extra $30k for that straight line acceleration, and (mostly) exhaust sound for a second.

oliver1539

Reaction score
I ordered/bought a TRX bc they were $10,000 under msrp, why not! But at the end of the day I’m apparently more of a Raptor guy.
Yeah, I prefer the Raptor over the TRX. I haven’t driven a Gen 3 yet, so I can’t compare it to the TRX or Gen 2.

Before the R was released, the perfect truck for me would’ve been the Gen 2 (I like the grill better) with Recaro seats, Gen 3 suspension, Hellcat motor with the TRX technology.

Now, it’s a waiting game to find a decent deal on the R…

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t regret spending the extra $30k for that straight line acceleration, and (mostly) exhaust sound for a second.
Well that further proves the point that one model doesn’t fit every use case, hence why the non-R Raptor has been around for 13 successful years.

Personally, if I had the expendable funds, I’d be putting that $30k difference toward a new GT500. But as I said, that’s just personal preference.