DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol only thing I broke. I've done half of the truck and I can hear the difference. I had rain here and finally today get to continue. My bad was the panel was wet and when I pulled it, it slipped and broke off. I have googled and nothing on the cable. Its 7 bucks (17 dealer) but 60 buck dealer install lol. I am going to try and put it back see if I can make it work otherwise may just need to take it in I dont want to take apart the window and lock assembly to save 75 bucks lol.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol only thing I broke. I've done half of the truck and I can hear the difference. I had rain here and finally today get to continue. My bad was the panel was wet and when I pulled it, it slipped and broke off. I have googled and nothing on the cable. Its 7 bucks (17 dealer) but 60 buck dealer install lol. I am going to try and put it back see if I can make it work otherwise may just need to take it in I dont want to take apart the window and lock assembly to save 75 bucks lol.

Crisis averted I was able to push the broken clip back in and hold it from falling with a zip tie. Door opens and closes normally and without rattle. Did a few rough road tests to make sure it didnt fall out but so far so good and this half of the truck sounds great. I can hear the difference the muddy sound versus the clarity of the pioneers!

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crisis averted I was able to push the broken clip back in and hold it from falling with a zip tie. Door opens and closes normally and without rattle. Did a few rough road tests to make sure it didnt fall out but so far so good and this half of the truck sounds great. I can hear the difference the muddy sound versus the clarity of the pioneers!

Forgot the pic in case this happens to anyone else20191129_142046.jpg

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it the upgrade had some... challenges ;-)
I’ve disconnected the door handle cable from the panel, but not replaced it. Have you youtube searched? I have to go back there every time the door panels come off because I can never remember the trick to that damn connector.

Just finished the upgrade and it sounds amazing like someone with a cold to clear as day. Learned a lot but so good thank you all for your advice and help!!! I will eventually do the sub and amp to finish it but even just like this I am happy.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you just upgrade speakers or install an amp as well? What components did you go with?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just finished the upgrade and it sounds amazing like someone with a cold to clear as day. Learned a lot but so good thank you all for your advice and help!!! I will eventually do the sub and amp to finish it but even just like this I am happy.

I’m glad we’ve successfully got you started down the road to better audio.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just upgrade speakers or install an amp as well? What components did you go with?

I just upgraded the 7 speakers and left the stock sony amp. I went with the A series pioneers all around that were posted on here.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad we’ve successfully got you started down the road to better audio.

Hello Smurfslayer,

I noticed my sub cutting out recently when I turn volume up past 18ish. I wonder if the sub/amp is being overheated by the more powerful door speakers? More motivation for me to do the separate sub amp and sub replacement I guess lmao.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hello Smurfslayer,

I noticed my sub cutting out recently when I turn volume up past 18ish. I wonder if the sub/amp is being overheated by the more powerful door speakers? More motivation for me to do the separate sub amp and sub replacement I guess lmao.

Yeah... if we only knew someone with an amp and sub available... :hmmm2:

The stock sub and signal is WEAK. I’m surprised you even notice it’s there. One cheap workaround- wrap the enclosure in dynamat. It’s worth some extra sound.

But yeah, amp it up and put a decent sub in that enclosure.