DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ss, will do, my amp already comes with fuses built in but recommends an inline fuse before the power connection, did you use an inline fuse as well with your posi tap setup

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks ss, will do, my amp already comes with fuses built in but recommends an inline fuse before the power connection, did you use an inline fuse as well with your posi tap setup

Absolutely. Not only is it smarter and safer, but convenient if you want to remove power inside the cab. Mine is currently 2x fused - at the battery and near the amp.
For tapping the inverter, an in cab fuse before the amp is fine.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of Morel Maximo components. I've gone wide open SQ installs in the past. This time I want to keep it simple.

2019 B&O, I see conflicting information in this thread on utilizing the cross-overs for 2019. Based on the wiring diagram for B&O the tweeters come directly from the ACM rather than the DSP module that all other speakers come from. Is the Morel crossover needed? Seems like installing it would only be the same as installing an inline bass blocker. Cross over points seems to be 3500 HZ

Wisejiffylube

Reaction score
Well dammit all had my cart all loaded up for a bit , about to pull the trigger on those a series + amp/sub, etc and that's no good bc of non components ... So here's what I have , please recommend options

1. RFosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier
  2. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max Power
  3. Noico Black 80 Mil 36 Sq Ft Car Sound Deadening, butyl automotiv
  4. Noico Tape Finishing Sealing Tape for car Sound deadening
  5. PIOTSA878 - Pioneer 3 1 2 INCH 2-Way Speakers
  6. etra 82-5600 Ford Adaptors 5 1/4-Inch Locations ( 1 set)
With all that and the morel ultra 602s fir the front , no rear, would I be good , or go with cheaper front and rear speakers . Anything you'd replace with my cart list ?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well dammit all had my cart all loaded up for a bit , about to pull the trigger on those a series + amp/sub, etc and that's no good bc of non components ... So here's what I have , please recommend options

1. RFosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel Class D Amplifier
  2. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max Power
  3. Noico Black 80 Mil 36 Sq Ft Car Sound Deadening, butyl automotiv
  4. Noico Tape Finishing Sealing Tape for car Sound deadening
  5. PIOTSA878 - Pioneer 3 1 2 INCH 2-Way Speakers
  6. etra 82-5600 Ford Adaptors 5 1/4-Inch Locations ( 1 set)
With all that and the morel ultra 602s fir the front , no rear, would I be good , or go with cheaper front and rear speakers . Anything you'd replace with my cart list ?

Sony or B&O? You can get by without a DSP with Sony if you’re willing to live with the bass roll off and poor mixing.

on #2... is that speaker ok with the 500w amp?

I’m in the finishing stages of getting parts to up the ante on my Sony.
8” Kicker / 300w Kenwood is out, replaced with 10” JL shallow mount in an MTI behind the seat enclosure, JL amp good for 400w. I’m probably pushing bout 325-340 or so(?). Now have to reposition the amps, DSR1 and run the wire for the front components. I have the tweets running already but need to mount up the crossovers, and cable them for the amp swapping.

#5 - what are you using the 3 1/2” for? that’s the size of the “center” channel speaker, which has met with disfavor because it poorly imitates a true center channel.

clark98ut

Reaction score
Need opinions.

I'd like to upgrade my 19 801A with the Sony system (no sub). I'm thinking of adding the following:

Front--Morel Maximo 6 6.5" component
Rear--Morel Maximo Coax 6 6.5"

Would that setup work ok? I may add a sub later, but I'm really looking for just a plug and play type setup without running a bunch of cables everywhere.

Thoughts?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's important to give a listen to the speakers in a shop before making a decision. It's really hard to gauge what someone else will consider sounding good enough.

Keep in mind though that the speakers are going to sound better in a shop due to better amp, better acoustic setup, and probably better source material.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need opinions.

I'd like to upgrade my 19 801A with the Sony system (no sub). I'm thinking of adding the following:

Front--Morel Maximo 6 6.5" component
Rear--Morel Maximo Coax 6 6.5"

Would that setup work ok? I may add a sub later, but I'm really looking for just a plug and play type setup without running a bunch of cables everywhere.

Thoughts?

Will definitely be an upgrade, but not sure if you will get your $ from the rears without an amp. JMO.