DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
confirmed. I think the kicker needs about 1/2” - 3/4” more clearance using the stock enclosure. I recall it only needs expanding on one area of the enclosure, I think it’s the bottom. You might be able to squeeze another 1/2” maybe a bit more with a spacer ring, but any more and you’d probably be impacting the seat.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
I think Saby has an 18. Kicker fits the stock enclosure without heat gun shenanigans but holes don't line up so you will need to just screw into the plastic with drywall screws . Not sure if that is the same with the Kenwood sub.

Saby

Reaction score
I think Saby has an 18. Kicker fits the stock enclosure without heat gun shenanigans but holes don't line up so you will need to just screw into the plastic with drywall screws . Not sure if that is the same with the Kenwood sub.

I do have an 18. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually the holes line up no prob, just needed to work the box more to work it in. I also used the dynomat all the way to where the sub mounts so it bought me an 1/8 more height, but more importantly ensured a nice seal all the way around. Also I went to homedepot and bought 1.25inch screws to mount the sub to offset the addition in height

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my mistake about the bolt holes. Not sure on the 18s, mines a 17 and the holes lined up.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You had me confused for a minute there but yeah, Sony= holes line up but need to melt. B&O= no need to melt but need to make new holes