DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe just under 0.5 cubic feet like the Sony. But any after market sub (8inch) will not need more than the factory box offers.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No direct experience, but I think just about anything will be an upgrade over the stock paper cone 6x9 mid bass drivers. Tweeters are OK, not great, so not sure how much of an upgrade here. These look like they would be an upgrade overall, and the price is right. However, 4ohm and 89db...there are some more efficient/lower impedance options out there for not much more money. Definitely stay with the component setup, though.

I couldn't find any current reviews, but here's an older one:

https://www.pasmag.com/technology/test-reports/powerbass-l2-702-coaxial-speakers-review

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I haven’t read through this whole thread but what I’ve read is great info.

If I just replace the 8 inch subwoofer that’s in the box behind the back seat would it make the stereo sound a lot better ? Or do I have to replace all the speakers ?

Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you’re a 2018 or 2019, it’s not as simple as all that, but to answer your question, not quite.

you need a low profile / shallow depth sub, an amp for speaker level input and a heat gun or similar to form the box to fit the new sub. Bonus points for dynamat on the enclosure.

This was a simple swap for the 2015-2017 Sony system, not so simple for the B&O system which I think (‘18+ owners chime in here) may need a DSP.

but yeah, it is an improvement and a good first step.

discowagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting this upgrade on my '19 SCREW B&O today with the sub replacement first. It appears that the sub enclosure is a bit different from previous years, in a good way. There is no hole that needs to be filled and no plastic that needs to be melted to get the sub to fit. I'm using the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as recommended within this thread. All I had to do was cut off a tab on the outside and the sub dropped right in and the holes even line up with the stock screws.

Cheap "B&O" Paper Sub:
LFi2HfA.jpg

Inside the stock 2019 enclosure:
XNRxg7B.jpg

The little tab that needs to be cut off:
wP4UQYG.jpg

Pioneer fits like a charm and aligns with stock holes:
vtEy8WQ.jpg

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting this upgrade on my '19 SCREW B&O today with the sub replacement first. It appears that the sub enclosure is a bit different from previous years, in a good way. There is no hole that needs to be filled and no plastic that needs to be melted to get the sub to fit. I'm using the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as recommended within this thread. All I had to do was cut off a tab on the outside and the sub dropped right in and the holes even line up with the stock screws.

Cheap "B&O" Paper Sub:
LFi2HfA.jpg

XNRxg7B.jpg

wP4UQYG.jpg

vtEy8WQ.jpg

Cheap "B&O" Paper Sub:
LFi2HfA.jpg

XNRxg7B.jpg

wP4UQYG.jpg

vtEy8WQ.jpg
can you tell a big difference with just the new sub you put in ?