DIY Shady Tree Whipple Install Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have blower. Wrestling with the dreaded back bolt now.

whip10.jpg

whip11.jpg

Back bolt is not hard to get to, it is freaking impossible to get to. Now I understand why so many have been reported loose. I cant even get my fingers back around there to feel the bolt head. I could not get a piece of paper to fit back there with all the wire looms and intercooler hoses, but somehow have to figure out how to shove a socket and extension back there. Called Whipple to see if there was a trick and their answer was "try harder", lol.

And btw you have to literally lie across the engine on your belly while doing all this. .. UGH.

It's behind all that.
backbolt.jpg

AGAIN, IF YOU PLAN ON LIGHTS OR A WINCH NOW IS THE TIME TO UPGRADE THE ALTERNATOR.
Taking this blower on and off is going to be a nightmare due to the back bolt. That is a 250amp SDHQ alternator you see installed.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey rbarn, since it's still fresh in you mind.

Would it be possible to use a stud bolt back there?
Extending it up 2" or more inches so you can a smaller socket on the stub.
I had mine installed so I have no idea if that is even possible.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I figured out the "trick" to accessing the back bolt.

Wire harness routing is CRITICAL or you will not have enough room. It requires cutting off pretty much every retainer on the harness to get enough slack and folding and bending back plugs and connections.

When you get the wire harness and intercooler hose looking like pictured you can now access the bolt. It goes from impossible to just being a serious pain in the neck. I used a little 3" long 10mm mini-wrench with 12pt box end to get back there and tighten it with 1/8th of turn at a time. I never could get a 1/4" socket back there, much less a torque wrench. Just get it nice and hand tight, it doesnt take much torque.

Wire harness must look like this before blower goes on. Whipple does not make this clear in the instructions. Or at least not clear enough

backbolt2.jpg

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope I never have to change that belt on the side of the road. Not an easy one to do.

whip12.jpg

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still need to wire up the boost gauge and install and wire the fans for the intercooler, but its done ....... finally.

whip14.jpg

whip13.jpg

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's alive. Just got back from 5 mile test drive. Idles smooth as butter at 800rpm, street manners are like stock. Have not floored it yet, since tuner said would be best to get it on dyno and verify air/fuel ratios before "getting on it"

Sounds awesome. feels awesome. even just 1/4 and 1/2 throttle acceleration is greatly improved.

Can definitely feel the extra weight up front in the steering. Nothing to complain about, but it is noticeable if you are paying attention.

The Meziere water pump is silent.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened with the dyno today?

I missed my schdl appt earlier in the week, so it was a long shot if they were going to get to me. They could not. Rescheduled for first of next week. Stand by

svt boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that is the 3.5 pulley on there? Does Whipple say you need a new tune with the smaller pulleys?