DIY 6.2 Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about the spark plug gap.

1. What brought about the change from 10-11 gap of .039 - .043 to 2014 gap of .041 - .047? Was this because of a simple spark plug change or something else?

2. What gap are people setting the new plugs at, top-mid-low end of scale for your year of truck?

3. Do you check the gap of the old plugs after you pull them to see if they are within factory spec for your year?

4. I'm asking for a friend

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 8

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put NGK Iridium IX plugs in everything in own from lawn 2 stroke weed eaters to highly boosted V8s.

I always put them in as them come out of the box, but I check to see if any differ from the rest. Never had an issue with either.

Wider is better in general though, as long it pulls smoothly at the top end, it's not too wide. Too wide of a gap will show up as high RPM/full load spark breakup and misfires. When you have a high boost engine, you keep closing the gap until that breakup goes away and that's your gap.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I figured I wanted the gap as wide as possible but I did not know what to expect if the gap was to wide. I bought a set of the Motorcraft SP-526 about a year ago just haven't put them in yet.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With as difficult as the plugs are on this truck put them in at the narrow end of the gap spec, that will prevent you from having to redo them as long as possible. The gains from gap are really marginal, especially in something like this that is running coil per cylinder with dual flame fronts. You have to remember when the idea of opening up spark plug gap came around they were using weak factory coils and the gap specs were 0.030-0.035", so people would put in a hotter coil and open them up. The stock 0.041" gap is already "opened up", if there were significant gains in power or efficiency to be made from something like plug gaps the engineers would have done it from day one. More gap means less spark dwell, so there is a balance.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first bought the plugs I made sure they were all set at .040 ish. So now that I'm closer to actually doing the job I wanted to get others input. Do the 2010 and 2011 Raptors take a different plug or do they use the same plug as the 2013 and 2014 Raptors but you gap them different for some reason. Just curious and asking for a friend.

patrapt

Reaction score
hello guys, what do you recommend for replacing the spark plugs at 100,000 km? for my raptor 2011?It is necessary to provide for the replacement of additional parts.