DIY 6.2 Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Runs different?

I can't start it just yet but my guess is it will. I'm looking at the data I collected from the plugs and something jumped out at me on the third cylinder back from the front on the passenger side. That cylinder the plugs (.044 & .048) did not burn as much as the other seven. Wondering if that is an indication of a weak coil or something else?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be. Throw up a close up pic of one of those plugs and a close up of one of the more worn ones. That would mean that coil has been bad a long time, should have thrown a code at least.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This should be a lesson to everybody, don’t just change the plugs, change the wires and coils too. Especially in the USA where it’s cheap, lol.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be. Throw up a close up pic of one of those plugs and a close up of one of the more worn ones. That would mean that coil has been bad a long time, should have thrown a code at least.

After taking another look I feel it was an issue with the lower plug ie plug wire, poor connection, fouled plug something along those lines. Runs like a champ now though. I don't think it was very smart to go as many miles as I did on a set of plugs.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing I learned about the hardest plug to change on the Raptor 6.2L, it's not that hard once you figure out the magic combination of socket, extension, swivel. The passenger side front lower plug is done blind from the wheel well and what worked best for me was spark plug socket + 4" extension + swivel + any length extension. Moving the pivot point four inches out from the plug allows you to shoot the gap between the exhaust manifold and shock tower. The plug angles downward slightly and this combination will allow you to lift the nose slightly when trying to start the new plug back in the hole. All the lower plugs can be accessed through the wheel well with tire on and fender liner will bend out of the way where needed. I hope this helps the next DIYer and I'm sure I can do it in half the time next time.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been getting some misfires, so it's time to change the plugs, wires, and coils. I have a stock 2014 6.2 with 108k miles.
I'm just not sure of the brands and where to buy. Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned the prices vary widely depending on brand and I see the same thing.
Please tell me if I'm on the right track with these parts and manufacturers:
Plugs: NGK Iridium IX LTR6IX ~$120
Wires: MSD set ~$86 or Densco ~$42
NGK COP Ignition Coils (Waste Spark?) 48761 ($68) / 48762 ($59) = ~$508

Just making sure I have a good combination. Better options?

Last edited:

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been getting some misfires, so it's time to change the plugs, wires, and coils. I have a stock 2014 6.2 with 108k miles.
I'm just not sure of the brands and where to buy. Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned the prices vary widely depending on brand and I see the same thing.
Please tell me if I'm on the right track with these parts and manufacturers:
Plugs: NGK Iridium IX LTR6IX ~$120
Wires: MSD set ~$86 or Densco ~$42
NGK COP Ignition Coils (Waste Spark?) 48761 ($68) / 48762 ($59) = ~$508

Just making sure I have a good combination. Better options?
I just finished installing the new coils, plug, and wires. All went very well, but it took me a few days to complete. (Florida rain, heat humidity, no garage, etc.)
The information in this thread was invaluable and I gathered everything I needed before the job. Thanks!!!
I definitely had at least one bad coil. I popped it out and a cloud of white/gray dust filled the air. I used compressed air to clear the spark plug before removal.
Additionally, I had 2 spark plugs with cracked ceramics. The magnetic/rubber socket kept the pieces in the socket so no issues.
And yes, I did get the front passenger plug out and a new one in, after a good night's sleep. Using tape on the swivel was a great idea.
So far the engine is running great and gas mileage seems to have improved.

Attachments

• 20210908_134115.jpg
    20210908_134115.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 30

kuuzi

Reaction score
I just finished installing the new coils, plug, and wires. All went very well, but it took me a few days to complete. (Florida rain, heat humidity, no garage, etc.)
The information in this thread was invaluable and I gathered everything I needed before the job. Thanks!!!
I definitely had at least one bad coil. I popped it out and a cloud of white/gray dust filled the air. I used compressed air to clear the spark plug before removal.
Additionally, I had 2 spark plugs with cracked ceramics. The magnetic/rubber socket kept the pieces in the socket so no issues.
And yes, I did get the front passenger plug out and a new one in, after a good night's sleep. Using tape on the swivel was a great idea.
So far the engine is running great and gas mileage seems to have improved.
What plugs, wires and coil set up did you end up getting? I plan on doing this in a few weeks. Thanks!