DIY 6.2 Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, got it done. Rather have the peace of mind knowing the coils are in good shape. Gotta say, hardest part for me was getting plug wires on firmly on the lower plugs. I’ve got some small fingers, but hard to tell if they are on all the way or not.
Truck runs great now.

All the tips in here are great. The wobbly spark plug sockets are clutch!

Last edited:

KENNEDY Ridley

Reaction score
Lost one of the black spacers that the coil boot screw goes through. No biggie, but could it possibly drop in the spark plug hole with the plug out?

KENNEDY Ridley

Reaction score
Found the spacer, used the NGK 6510 gapped.030 bought the tool from Amazon that was posted on here. Best $20 I have spent in a long time. Made the job so much easier. Thanks for the tips on here really, really helpful!!

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reading through all these tips and tricks and DIY threads on tune ups and in looking at the wires on mine, motorcraft 8mm, they don't look very old at all. I will have to pull a plug or two, top and bottom and see how they look. Could I catch a break on this one?

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I haven’t read through this thread nor researched it on my own.

Is the second set of 8 plugs an emissions item or do they both fire at the same time?

I think I remember my 2006 5.7 HEMI had 16 plugs as well but only one set was necessary for ignition and the second set somehow contributed to some emissions reduction.

I will change our all 16 when I do it, just curious.

Yamazuki

Reaction score
Did mine today.

Wasn't a lot of fun. 90 degrees or so outside and had to be close to the same in humidity.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did mine a few months ago. Every plug was installed and removed using a standard spark plug socket and various lengths extensions. I did not need any wobbles or swivels.

If you have the right combination of extensions, a normal 3/8" SnapOn flex head ratchet will easily get all 16. I did swap to a shorter ratchet a few times for clearance. Considering the amount of work involved, it's really a cake walk IMO. The height of the truck is a challenge more than anything else.

The fender liners rub the tops of your arms as you are working from the side, so that sucks, but not enough to warrant removing them. You can get all the side plugs from the top anyways. I went in from the sides on a few to make sure I got the socket and extension fully on the plug, but I often did the ratcheting and removal from up top to save my arms from getting beat up from the edge of the wheel liners.

clarkkent

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I haven’t read through this thread nor researched it on my own.

Is the second set of 8 plugs an emissions item or do they both fire at the same time?

I think I remember my 2006 5.7 HEMI had 16 plugs as well but only one set was necessary for ignition and the second set somehow contributed to some emissions reduction.

I will change our all 16 when I do it, just curious.

From what I understand, both are used for combustion.