DIY 6.2 Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
75,000 miles on the truck. Coils should be good for a while yet. Actually the truck is running fine just decided to do it before it needs it!

The shocks are another matter. I'm noticing the need for new ones. My old ones will sit for quite a while and eventually get a rebuild.
I totally agree, i did my first plugs at 100k and then did it all at 150k even though it still ran good then, but I did notice it to be a lot smoother this last time doing everything. I've done the shocks twice on mine, just about due for a 3rd change. Yours is pretty low mileage, NICE!

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 months later, and my truck is getting serviced tomorrow for the plugs, coil packs and belt. Its been a long 2 months. Cant wait to get it back.

MikeyD

Reaction score
I know there are 16 plugs needed for the 6.2 V8 but I can’t find where it says how many spark plug wires are needed 8 or 16 and how many boots are needed just the bottom 8 or all 16 ? What wires are recommended as an upgrade?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know there are 16 plugs needed for the 6.2 V8 but I can’t find where it says how many spark plug wires are needed 8 or 16 and how many boots are needed just the bottom 8 or all 16 ? What wires are recommended as an upgrade?
The 8 plugs on the top of the engine have coil packs atop them. Those 8 plugs are directly powered by the coil packs. Running down from each coil pack to the second spark plug per cylinder is a conventional looking spark plug wire. So there are only 8 spark plug wires, they seem to be identical in design and length, and they run from each coil down to the corresponding side bank spark plug.

To service the top 8 plugs you must remove the intake air plenum - a couple of small bolts, free a couple hoses, and loosen the hose clamp at the back of the plenum to free it from the throttle body. Then each coil has a bolt, and off they come - pretty easy.

To service the side banks of plugs requires you to work through the front wheel wells. Some like to leave the tires on, but I found it advantageous to remove the front tires. (Use heavy duty jack stands. If your jack fails or slips, you die. You will be head and shoulders inside each wheel well for a good while.) I found it difficult to remove the plug wire boots from the plugs simply because of the tight confines, so I recommend you acquire a spark plug boot removal tool before you start. A variety of extensions and flex-joint combinations are used to get to these plugs, and you pretty much have to innovate the appropriate combination for each one. The one plug that most have difficulty with is the front plug on the passenger side because it's right in line with the shock. I very nearly didn't get the plug boot off that one.

All 16 of my plugs had slightly corroded threads, so I used some high temp anti-seize grease on the threads of the new plugs. Since I had so much trouble getting the plug boots off the side banks of plugs I used a little bit of spark plug boot grease on the inside of each boot (use a Q-tip to apply) so that next time I won't have quite so much trouble.

As for the eight spark plug wires, I didn't replace them when I replaced the plugs. The truck runs fine, but I'm going to go back and replace the plug wires this summer. I settled on MSD wires, part number 31639. You can order them from O'Reilly for $89.99 or from Summit Racing for $89.91.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score