DIY 6.2 Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNWILKO

Reaction score
This thread was very helpful. Just tackled this today as well. I have to say, I was anticipating this being worse based on some of the posts here. It took me about 4 hours (seems to be the average time based on these posts). The passenger front most plug behind the shock tower wasn’t that bad. I think the rear most drivers side or second on the drivers side was harder due to the steering shaft.

The flexible magnetic spark plug tool was invaluable and I highly recommend getting that.

I used Mororcraft plugs, NGK boots, and AC Delco wires. Everything installed smoothly. I may be have gotten lucky on this, but I was due after the mess I had with my 5.4.

For anyone on the fence about doing this. You can definitely tackle this in your garage if you’re patient and have a little know how.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going through some pics and came across these from when I did my spark plugs. I have looked at these pics many times but this time it jumped off the screen that the wear of the upper and lower plugs is vastly different with the lower plugs wearing more than the upper plugs. The upper plugs were still close enough to spec that explains why the truck was still running ok. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

IMG_6005.JPGIMG_6006.JPG

rseeoee

Reaction score
Getting ready to tackle this today and I've got a question on my spark plug gap. I bought the NGK Ruthenium plugs off Rock Auto and the listing states they are pre-gapped to 0.032" and that OEM is 0.044". Should I gap them to OEM 0.044" or leave them at what they're pre-gapped to at 0.032"? I've done quite a bit on my trucks myself in the past, but I come on here and it's like a treasure trove of info from all of you guys. So, thank you all, it's appreciated!